What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

The Obligatory First Engine Start Video: N9459RV

9GT

Well Known Member
Patron
The Obligatory First Engine Start Video: N959RV

Last week we weighed the RV 10 empty and then full of fuel. Couldn't think of a good reason not to do an engine start so we pulled it out of the hanger and gave it a try. Not so much of a sputter on the first few tries so we disconnected the fuel line at the servo and bled the air out, then did the same at the spider. This time she came to life almost immediately. The engine came out of a 2001 Maule wreck that suffered a mild prop strike with only 291 hour's TTSN. My building buddy Thane and I did the tear down and reassembly following the Lycoming overhaul manual and prop strike procedures. The only repair needed was to straighten the prop flange on the crankshaft that was .007" out. I had the rods re-bushed while they were in the shop for inspection and reassembled using new crankshaft rod bearings. New rod bolts/ nuts and a gasket set. The required inspections, repair, and new parts set me back less than $3K. A new or rebuilt engine was not in my budget and I was fortunate (lucky) to get a late model low time engine. Today we were able to do a little taxi testing which was pretty cool in my book.;)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHJqFYeLKNw

Last edited:
Nice!

Congratulations David. It sounds great!

I'm still planing to visit you to pick up the wing box. Now I think I have some questions for you about rebuilding your engine. I purchased an IO-320 that had a prop strike and plan to go through a processing similar to what you have done.

Regards,

Congratulations David. It sounds great!

I'm still planing to visit you to pick up the wing box. Now I think I have some questions for you about rebuilding your engine. I purchased an IO-320 that had a prop strike and plan to go through a processing similar to what you have done.

Regards,

We can discuss the subject when you come to pick up the wing crate Mark. I would be happy to loan you my engine stand if you need one for your IO-320. A buddy of mine borrowed it for a while to overhaul his IO-540 he's putting into his Cozy MKIV.:eek:

Congrats on the engine start. I have never run the engine with the doors open. I always assumed they would get damaged by the prop wash. You have proven me wrong!

Congrats on the engine start. I have never run the engine with the doors open. I always assumed they would get damaged by the prop wash. You have proven me wrong!

The lower rpm range did not seem to have much effect with the doors open. They started bouncing a bit above 1300 rpm so I kept them low. I closed the passenger door and partially closed the pilot side door hanging on to it to get some air in the plane when I taxied around. It was a hot day.

Congrats! Very exciting moment and who would have thought that taxing around could be SO FUN right!?

Congrats on your new airplane and engine run :).

I'll add that I've seen a handful of these RV10 engine run videos as well as 'real life' RV10's taxiing in and out with their doors open. I've only completed and flown a handful of RV10's so I'm probably not the best source of expertise but.....there is no way I'd ever run one like that let alone do a partial or full run up with the doors open.

I've intentionally let the doors go (yes both sides) on an RV10 and they come off RIGHT NOW as they are VERY weak at the attachment screws.

Have fun and good luck!

Good points Rick. I did beef up the doors a bit during construction with 2 additional layers of BID around the windows extending up onto the top of the doors. I also filled the void pockets between the skins with some pour foam to stiffen them up a bit. I really wasn't expecting the engine to start and it did take me by surprise. My C-152 never started this good, even after I had the engine overhauled! I never got above 1300 RPM but looking at the video, I can see the doors bouncing around even at low RPM,,, so not again! I held the door open about 6" at the bottom at a slow taxi just checking the brakes and steering to get a little air movement it was so hot out. I already appreciate the fact that Alex has A/C in his -10 for when I do my transition training next month in TX.

Back