What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

The mysterious appearing nutplate holes.

sstellarv10

Well Known Member
I'm currently attaching the F 1043c angles to the fwd fuselage ribs and if you look at the attach angle on page 28-2 fig 3 that's is what it looks like, no problems. Now turn 2 pages to 28-6 fig 1 and that same attach angle has 2 nutplate attach areas on the side that originally had 11 # 30 holes. Where did the come from:confused:

Good eye, but I don't know the answer as I didn't put those mystery nutplates in. I'm not flying...but I do have that section together. Haven't needed them yet (knocking on wood).

-Jim

Look again. The figure on 28-2 has four locations marked "do not countersink" which are the #40 rivet holes for the nutplates. They do not show you putting the nutplates in; that happens on 28-11. Edit: Rev 0 plans!

Last edited:
Are you sure Patrick? I have the fuel lines installed and don't see how/why I'd need any adel clamps to hold fuel lines in that area.

To cut down on confusion...let's also include revision number and dates with these page numbers and figures...might shed some light on the discrepancies. (Could you go back and edit previous posts to include that info too, please?)

Here's my page 28-11, rev: 1, 12/18/07 figure 1 showing 11 AD4-5's and no nutplates.

Also, I do not have a note about not countersinking four holes on my rev: 0, 6/14/04, page 28-2.

Here's page 37-3, rev: 2, 12/18/07 figure 3 showing fuel lines going from the bulkhead fitting directly to the valve with no adel clamps.

I know Van's made a change to the fuel line routing by adding the 90 degree bulkhead fitting (AN833-6D) at the F-1048-L/R. In an earlier revision, it was just a snap bushing and one had to make many bends in the line to make it work.

Is this discussion really about revision update inconsistencies in depicting parts?

Curious minds want to know...don't want to mess something with any fuel lines up! Bad things occur when that happens.

-Jim

Last edited:
Update???

Steve

I've pondered this same question this week and come to the conclusion that it must have been updated sometime in the manual. Mine is the same as the photo,s above and no there aren't any fuel lines attached to this or anything else I can see looking ahead through the manual.
I found the last part of step 2 page 28-2 didn't make sense, I think because of this change.

Peter

You're right, I'm looking at Rev 0 scanned plans. I checked my build log and mine are put together like yours. Another good reason to never build from scanned or preview plans; I only use them for general planning or reference. But that pretty well solves the mystery; it's a hold-over from an earlier revision.

Whew, good to know.

Also, thanks for making me look here closely... what's wrong with this picture? (Besides the torque seal not supposed to be on the threads)

Uh, I missed two LP4-3's when installing the front floors...doh! BTW, just fixed them.

Thanks!

-Jim

And, further, since I'm in section 29 I couldn't resist turning back to look today as I was at the hangar. My drawing on page 28-11 is as Jim posted but the Rev is 0, dated 6/14/04. My page 28-2 is like Jim says but the scanned one I have is the same revision and date. So now I'm not sure how far I trust the revision numbers on the sheets but, as Mel said elsewhere in response to another issue, you are supposed to think while building. So the original question was a good one and I'm glad Jim caught my error and had the right plans handy.

Wow, that is interesting Patrick. Both your page 28-2 and my 28-2 show revision 0, but you have a note about not countersinking 4 holes and mine does not. Interesting indeed... I'm kit 603, but that doesn't matter much...ordered the SB fuselage kit in 2009 (iirc). Trust but verify. -Jim :)

Back