What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

The joy of building an Experimental Aircraft

scrollF4

Moderator, Asst. Line Boy
Ambassador
One of the things I appreciate most about building an experimental aircraft is that I can pursue my own solutions to problems, especially of the problem was caused by my own error.

I was installing the cabin floor covers that ran between the fuel boost pump/fuel tank valve and the firewall. This covers the wiring and the main fuel line. The Center Cabin Cover (part F-781C) runs forward along the floor to the firewall, then turns 90 degrees upward to cover the footheat air valve. When I installed all the aircraft wiring that runs through this area, I was supposed to have given the wiring enough slack to run all the forward to the firewall, then make the turn 90 degrees upward.

I GOOFED! I didn't give the wire enough slack, and the center cabin cover can't seat all the way forward to the firewall. Options:
1) Try to 'fish' some more slack out of these wires, putting them under strain.
2) Do a whole mess of cutting/splicing...out of the question.
3) Create some room by letting the wires 'cut the corner' on their way upward.
I chose option 3: Just create more room for the wiring.

I fabricated a 45-degree channel from scrap aluminum. This 45-degree channel consists of two sides each cut as a right triangle with 3" legs and a 4.25" hypotenuse. Yes, this means I got to actually apply Pythagorean's Theorem (although I guess I could have just used my angle to draw a right triangle with 3" legs, then connect the ends, but that would be too easy...sheesh!).

FP30052014A00010.jpg

I riveted these together with AN426-AD3 flush rivets, and added two end flanges with screw holes.

FP30052014A00011.jpg

I assembled the center cabin cover to the F-982E access cover, then marked the cut lines for my newly fabricated angle channel.

FP30052014A00012.jpg

With the channel hole cut into the center floor cover and access plate, I cleaned up the edges, drilled and installed K1000-8 plate nuts for the channel cover, then painted.

FP30052014A00013.jpg

I installed the center floor cover and ran the wires and fuel line for zero stacking and interference.

FP30052014A00014.jpg

I then installed the access plate to ensure there was no edge interference in the new hole at the 90-degree turn.

FP30052014A00015.jpg

Finally, I screwed the 45-degree channel cover into place, then completed the center cover installs. I feel pretty proud of this, and chalk it up as one of the joys of experimental aircraft building.

FP30052014A00016.jpg

Keep Calm and Build On!!

Thanks for the reminder to be sure to leave enough slack in the wiring bundle! Don't need any more pita's. :)
Goes without saying that you made sure there were no sharp edges on the back side for the wiring to rub against, right?

Last edited:
Well done scroll

I almost had to do that.

Scroll. I only hVe 10 hours of phase I left. I might fly to Newport News next weekend, haven't decided yet

Bugsy,
So what you're saying is you did it right...right? Man, I wish I almost did it wrong.

Now, after some thought, I guess I need to contact Abby at Flightline Interiors to see how this complicates the floor carpet.

Hey, fly off those phase 1 hours and come see us here at 52F.

Sid,
Any chance you might be a contemporary of a classmate of mine, who flew F4's out of Thailand on pleasure trips to Hanoi and other exotic locations? Who also retired as a Col. from USAF?

Sid,
Any chance you might be a contemporary of a classmate of mine, who flew F4's out of Thailand on pleasure trips to Hanoi and other exotic locations? Who also retired as a Col. from USAF?

Sam,
'Fraid not. I'm a little young for that timeframe: I flew F-4Gs in Desert Storm and in Germany when the Wall came down. However, he can drink in my bar any day.

Great idea

Thought of doing the same thing only planned to use the entire width of the cover, using the cover for the modification.

Great idea!!!

Thought of doing the same thing only planned to use the entire width of the cover, using the cover for the modification.

Great idea!!!

Thanks, Darwin. I considered using the cover as well, but I decided I didn't want the mixture cable to deal with a 45-degree pass-through. I'm sure that could be solved, too (probably already has out there in VAF world :cool: ).

Note to self: Put?extra?slack?in?harness (I write slowly. :) )

Good save! And that cover also serves as a gusset to improve bending rigidity of the airframe. :D

Back