What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

The impossible rivet(s)...

Phil

Well Known Member
I'm on section 33 and I'm riveting the lower baggage door seal channel F-1026.

This is the angled piece that runs along the lower/aft section of the baggage door.

How have some of you bucked the upper and lower most rivets? I can't seem to figure that one out.

This photo is off of Deem's site and it shows the specific piece already covered up.

Thanks,
Phil

DSC02719.JPG

Never mind... Somehow I got them to set. But honestly, I couldn't tell you how I did it. Just keep messing around with them and you'll get a little here and a little there. Next thing you know they're set.

Phil

I wound up using pull rivets. I bought this piece three times and found that a sledge hammer set them securely on the first two.

I really can't describe how I got them to set, but eventually they made it.

I think I ended up putting the bucking bar in position, then inserted the rivet, then shot them.... I think that's the secret that made it go. But honestly it was just a couple of smaller steps that ultimately led to a long leap. :)

Tough riveting!

I am not building a 10 but I can tell you, that if using cherrymax rivets will save you a 1/2 hour do that, its worth it.

We now have a huge selection of Cherry-Max in small packs of 10's and 25's http://www.gen-aircraft-hardware.com/store.asp?subsubcat_id=491&category=Cherry+Max+Rivets&breadCrumb=Cherry+Max+Rivets%20-%3E%20Blind+Rivets%20-%3E%20Rivets&menuID=150~151~151~152~152&id=152

Yes they cost more per piece this way, but unless your a repair station and have a requirement for a bunch of extras, just get what you need.

If you want to drive only solid rivets, sometimes you have to close your left eye and hold your tongue just right;)

Back