What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

The Fuse is home.

ww2planes

Well Known Member
Well after 25 hours in the seat stretching over Sunday and Monday, I have a Q/B Fuse in the hanger. We got a quick tour of Vans but we were not alowed to go into the skunkworks. It is a very nice facility. Pretty impressive to see all of those Fuselages standing on end.

For anyone that has obtained a Q/B Fuse, did you find an oily coating all over the thing? Mine had this coating and all of the road dust was stuck to it. I would assume that if this is standard practice it would be due to the salt air on the trip back to the US.

There is an impressive amount of work done in the Q/B. My travel partners were two 6A owners. One built one of the old style kits and the other recently finished and had ordered a Q/B fuse. Even compared to the recently purchased 6A Fuse, this one has a considerable amount more done to it.

For anyone who is entertaining the question on Q/B or slow build, my reccomendation is to fork over the extra clams and go Q/B. Not only is it faster but the quality of the work is better that I could produce on my best day.

When I picked up my QB last year I also drove it 24 hours straight (with a friend driving in shifts) in a U-Haul down to San Diego. I hear there is now someone who delivers uncrated QB kits in a trailer. Don't know what he's charging, but that sounds like a good way to go.

The oily coating is normal, and you are correct about its purpose.

I've been impressed with the QB quality for the most part. What I did though, and what I recommend every quickbuilder do, is go through the slow build manual and plans step by step and inspect the work. Very time consuming, but well worth the effort. I found about a dozen problems that I needed to correct.

The level of completeness of the QB is also very impressive, well worth the $$$. But in some instances parts have been riveted on that shouldn't have, and you're forced to drill them out. A minor annoyance.

I've provided feedback to Van's about the problems I've found, so hopefully the process is improving. But even as is I would say QB is very good overall. I would definitely go QB again.

Tony Partain

That somebody who delivers uncrated QBs in a trailer is Tony Partain. He gets very high reviews from the folks who use him. I had the opportunity to see one of his rigs when I was at a builder's class in PA. The truck is set up to haul QBs and everything was nicely secured and in its place.

Having spoken to Tony he is also a super nice guy.

I am considering using him to bring my kit across the country. My only problem is that I am in the north east, and he doesn't get up this far. If I work with him I will still have to drive somewhere to meet him.

Antony

Back