What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

The FLYONSPEED Team at this year's OSH -- Fly AOA!

scrollF4

Moderator, Asst. Line Boy
Ambassador
VAF,
I'd like to point your attention to a post on the VAF SAFETY Forum posted by Mike "Vac" Vaccaro of the FlyONSPEED AOA Team:

This is no mere stall beeper.

You owe it to yourself to learn more about FlyONSPEED's AOA instrumentation, how to use it effectively in your RV, and the brilliant work this team has done these last 10 years to expand AOA technologies in the RV. The FlyONSPEED team has won two EAA awards for innovation and excellence, including the 2018 Founder's Innovation Award. They will again appear at OSH this year to educate and inform pilots about angle of attack/EM and present the latest versions of their AOA avionics interface equipment: In particular, watch for their presentation Wednesday afternoon at the EAA Pilot Proficiency Center adjacent to the museum.

You might discover there's a better, safer, way to fly your RV.

For additional information, see the team's website at https://www.flyonspeed.org/ .

Note: FlyONSPEED is not a business. It's a non-profit organization dedicated to providing high-quality Angle of Attack and education resources to the Experimental Amateur Built Aviation Community to reduce loss-of-control mishaps.

I like the OnSPeed system - have been flying it for more than a year in my -8….and well worth anyone’s time to learn more about!

And I’ll add that the “AOA Day” at the PPC, and other presentations at Airventure, will expose people to all sorts of different AOA systems - all/any of which will improve your flying and give you more margin when flyign close to the edge and/or get distracted. I tell everyone - I have two or three AOA systems in each of our aircraft, and I don’t care which one you buy/install/use….they’ll reduce your risk!

Come listen to Vac and an array of other experts, fly the trainign session in the PPC, and learn more about the systems that anyone with an EFIS already has - but might not have calibrated or learned to use. It’s about more than the “Base to FInal Turn” folks - far more of the LOC Stall/Spin fatalities happen during departure. So….be careful out there!

”You’re good….we can make you better!”

Paul

I'm looking forward to learning, but I'm also looking forward to presenting information from 891 NTSB reports on takeoffs and landings. Some of the topics investigated were: what percentage of accidents have an AOA component to them, and how often might a visual AOA indicator have helped? There are surprises in the data... What success rate do impossible turns have in the real world? What about base to final? And where is money best spent for safety for real world pilots?

The statisticians tell us that if you only focus on success stories and appropriate situations, that's called sampling bias and gives skewed results. The poster child for sampling bias is unstable approaches, where data shows that way more than 90% of unstable approaches land normally... so unstable approaches are not in and of themselves causal, contrary to folklore. Sampling bias also applies to AOA statistics and presentations...

I've read lots and seen lots of videos on how good AOA can be in carefully selected circumtances, but in comparison, I've focused on the entire accident spectrum. This gives different results.

My presentation is in Forum 5, Tuesday morning at 10. Vac's is Monday at 10 in the NAFI tent, PPC is Wednesday afternoon. I'll be at all of them.

I'm looking forward to learning, but I'm also looking forward to presenting information from 891 NTSB reports on takeoffs and landings. Some of the topics investigated were: what percentage of accidents have an AOA component to them, and how often might a visual AOA indicator have helped? There are surprises in the data... What success rate do impossible turns have in the real world? What about base to final? And where is money best spent for safety for real world pilots?

The statisticians tell us that if you only focus on success stories and appropriate situations, that's called sampling bias and gives skewed results. The poster child for sampling bias is unstable approaches, where data shows that way more than 90% of unstable approaches land normally... so unstable approaches are not in and of themselves causal, contrary to folklore. Sampling bias also applies to AOA statistics and presentations...

I've read lots and seen lots of videos on how good AOA can be in carefully selected circumtances, but in comparison, I've focused on the entire accident spectrum. This gives different results.

My presentation is in Forum 5, Tuesday morning at 10. Vac's is Monday at 10 in the NAFI tent, PPC is Wednesday afternoon. I'll be at all of them.
Hmmm…so unstable approaches are not causal and are merely folklore.

Interesting.

Bob and I just had a wonderful 36 minute phone conversation. Things were clarified, and, no surprise, we're both very much on the same page -- and looking forward to meeting each other in person at Oshkosh.

Bob and I just had a wonderful 36 minute phone conversation. Things were clarified, and, no surprise, we're both very much on the same page -- and looking forward to meeting each other in person at Oshkosh.
Yes, great conversation!

It is always great to discuss things from different perspectives and be open to learning from it. I will see you at OSH!

Hi Ed, I would love to see your presentation, but I'll be unable to make it Oshkosh this year. Are you planning on posting video of your presentation?

Hi Ed, I would love to see your presentation, but I'll be unable to make it Oshkosh this year. Are you planning on posting video of your presentation?
When it’s”done,” I’ll make a pdf that includes links to the videos - once I upload them. I’ll also have to add notes to many of the slides. Some presentations get recorded, but I don’t know that any of my forums ever have been.

Back