What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

The first tandem axle RV-7

Tom Martin

Well Known Member
This is a Canadian special, built for those tough runways that you would really wonder about landing in with a regular plane. It can be four wheel landed or three point landed, your choice.

tandem gear

I'll bet it's a booger to slow-taxi in a straight line.And ,the kick stand will need to be quite a bit longer.:D

As you probably guessed we are converting a RV7a into a RV7. This is plane is under constrution, the tail was complete and mounted and the engine was mounted but no hook ups were done. Installing the tail spring took less than a day and the metal parts are out for powder coating but the main work is done. A couple of hours should finish the tail. Removing the engine and old mount went quickly. The new engine mount was bolted to the engine first and then this assembly was mounted to the firewall. This is easier than doing the engine last. Swapping the gear, brakes wheels etc has also been done. The firewall forward part of this job only took 5.5 hours. We have to remove the old gear leg mounts from in front of spar and fill the old gear leg holes.
This is not really that bad a job and the conversion kit that Van supplied was quite complete.

what about the steps?

I was originally thinking of building my 7 both ways so I could start in Tri-gear mode and transition to tail-dragger later if desired. Do you plan on leaving the steps on the tail dragger?

Bevan

The steps are chrome, look beautiful, so they are going to stay. This plane belongs to a friend of mine. Another friend has a RV7. If the first friend is slower than the second friend than the steps will have to go!

Back