What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

The Chinese Market

2johns

Yesterday we were visited by three people from China who were interested in bringing general aviation to China. That sat in the RV12 and were amazed that we had the freedom to build a plane and fly it where ever we choose. It seems China is going to open up approximately 30% of their area up to a limited altitude on a trial basis to general aviation in 2012. Guess we shouild appreciate what we have!

This will get truncated or removed all together

There was a thread on this subject earlier and it goes straight political very fast. I had some first hand objective observations with photos that I innocently posted but even I could see the problem for the site afterward and deleted them.

Bob Axsom

The Japanese Market

My (native Japanese) wife, in discussing the experimental aircraft scene in Japan with the Oshkosh international attendees, found that they are restricted to ultra-lites, and further restricted to flying only along some riverside parks, going back and forth on short (a few miles at best) loops. I'm not sure how large the GA market is in Japan, but, when my wife attended her former flight instructor's wedding festivities in Japan, part of the entertainment was the groom's friends making a flyover in a Cessna 172. It was a rare enough sight that all the wedding guests went out side to point and go ooooh!!! aaaah!
I suspect no real experimental aircraft have been built/registered in Japan(???).

China

My wife is Chinese and I have traveled the country widely with her. Private flying is very limited at the moment. Her parents are over from QiDong and I took her mum up in my 9A and she loved it. There is a Chines RV grin on my blog as a result. I have also taken a lot of visiting Chinese students.

There are a lot of very rich people over there so potentially its a big market.

Whether this will happen is another matter, its impossible to get on Vans website and many others in Beijing and many other parts of the country. But, the lack of flying is one of the reasons we dont live there.

Experimental in Japan- yes!

I read this a few days ago on Sonex's website.

"Congratulations to Yuji Watabe of Obihiro, Hokkaido, Japan whose AeroVee powered, standard gear Sonex (S/N 1188) flew for the first time on October 9th! Yuji's aircraft is the first Sonex ever to fly in Japan. Gold Wings are on the way!"
Here is the link.

My (native Japanese) wife, in discussing the experimental aircraft scene in Japan with the Oshkosh international attendees, found that they are restricted to ultra-lites, and further restricted to flying only along some riverside parks, going back and forth on short (a few miles at best) loops. I'm not sure how large the GA market is in Japan, but, when my wife attended her former flight instructor's wedding festivities in Japan, part of the entertainment was the groom's friends making a flyover in a Cessna 172. It was a rare enough sight that all the wedding guests went out side to point and go ooooh!!! aaaah!
I suspect no real experimental aircraft have been built/registered in Japan(???).

KOREA

Last year I spent thee weeks in several major Korean cities with my Korean wife and her family - say no general aircraft - just military helicopters.

Back