What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

That Sinking Feeling...

odens_14

Well Known Member
Well it happens to the best of us, my time in the garage ended today with "that was expensive". I was working on the left elevator. bending the edge where the trim tab goes. I got the bend to far outboard and tore the skin a little bit. right there I knew I was probably done. however, in an attempt to save it I stop-drilled the tear and acctually got it looking pretty good, sure there would be a little bigger gap but I'm not building a show plane. Then the nail in the coffin was when i put in the 609pp spar and it was too narrow because the trailing edge bend was too wide. Call to van's on monday will get the new parts on my way, hope its not too expensive.

Question, would you drill out the stiffeners or just order those too?

Building planes is fun :D

Last edited:
sinking feeling

I wouldn't worry too much about your small tiny error. If it is help, you will make many more.

Take the thing apart and keep the parts for spares. Order new ribs and skins.

Learn from your mistake.

You will find many uses for the spare parts, put them in a box. You should see my spare parts box, it is huge.

Keep building, it will work,

Mike Ice
RV-9 firewall forward

Me too!

I did the same thing only I was lucky, it was the trim tab that cracked not the elevator when I bent the tabs over. I ordered new a new trim tab skin and I'm still not happy with how it turned out (This time I used the little riblets by using an E-709 rib and cutting off the end instead of using those 'wings').

Overall, I think there are many folks who will redo tail parts. ;)

that sinking feeling

We've all been there. Remember, it's only a mistake if you can't buy a new part!

Joe Ramotowski
RV9A going to paint shop Monday

I would order new stiffeners. They are cheap and easier to make than drill out. If you haven't bent the trim tab yet, why not order that right away. Many people build two or more before getting it right.

Happy building, Happier flying,

Roberta

I have that same skin in the corner of my shop with a tear in it. Gotta love Van's prices! Cheap :)

Trim Tab

Well Roberta got me worried about the trim tab. So today I went out to give it a shot, figured I'd at least try it before ordering a replacement. I was much more careful this time and...IT WORKED! It's not perfect but it works. Much better feeling then yesterday; It will fly...one day.

1926132247cafdfe5f56e.jpg

P.S. sorry for the big pic, can someone tell me how to do the thumbnail?

You don't have to wait and call Van's. You can order any part using the webstore. Searching for the part number is reliable.

Get used to it. I'm sure I'm not the first to ponder whether I should be building two planes at once, as the second would be perfect.

Don
rv7-fwf and wiring.

Jorge,

Did you rivet the forward part of your riblet to the E-606 trim spar or is it just riveted to the elevator skin? Thanks in advance.

The forward holes on the riblet rivet into the spar. Notice the extensions on the riblet on the left (photo below). I made those expressly to tie the rib into the spar.

trimrib.jpg

Last edited:
Back