What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Thanks VAF

Rainmaker

Thanks VAF. I took the money I would have spent reordering R-710 and donated to Doug's site. Without the forums I most certainly would be trimming this part again.

PS- Rudder should be done in a couple of weeks. Then on to the elevators.

Thanks for the kind words!

Make sure to trim out those mis-drilled holes a bit. A little curve looking thing nibbled out of the side there to relieve the stresses will be all you need, just leave the proper clearance for the other holes. You're back in business.

I have plenty of parts that look like that in Flash :) ....and I drilled into my palm once....

b,
d

1000 words

DeltaRomeo said:
Make sure to trim out those mis-drilled holes a bit. A little curve looking thing nibbled out of the side there to relieve the stresses will be all you need, just leave the proper clearance for the other holes.
What Doug said:

20050716_braces.jpg

mcb

DeltaRomeo said:
Thanks for the kind words!

Make sure to trim out those mis-drilled holes a bit. A little curve looking thing nibbled out of the side there to relieve the stresses will be all you need, just leave the proper clearance for the other holes. You're back in business.

I have plenty of parts that look like that in Flash :) ....and I drilled into my palm once....

b,
d

Will do Doug.

I am not sure if Van's did this on the 6 when you were building. Believe it or not those two holes at the edge are the guide holes that are in the part you get to show you where to trim this bracket. A lot of folks (and me too- without getting the warnings from VAF) are not leaving enough edge distance for the drilled holes because they trim through the middle or bottom of the guide holes.

I haven't drilled my palm yet. Closest I've come is getting my latex glove sucked into the drill threads. Can't wait for the first RV scar.:)

I remember this part from a few months ago and those "mis-drilled" holes are the biggest problem with this part. They are actually in the part from van's and look like guide holes for trimming the part IMHO (similar to the elevator stiffeners). At least that's what I thought they were. I was lucky I did a light trim and then a trial fit, almost took too much.

I wonder if those holes are improperly placed guide holes or just tooling holes left from the original forming?? A note in the plans would help.

Edit: started this post and got called away (darn job), finished after the above post was already up.

So......... ditto?

I bought four of these....

The first one came with the kit.
I followed the instructions, like a good little lamb.
Yup, lambchops due to edge distance.

Thinking "must have been me", ordered a second R-710.
And proved it wasn't just me.

So I snapped. I bought TWO more R-710's. (just in case).
Third try I had to round out the marking hole locations as shown above.

I have an extra R-710 now, that I'm holding onto for a local guy about to start an RV-7A...........

I was working on the "if you need it, you don't have it & if you have it, you don't need it" plan.

Back