What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Thanks for the longeron advice, another question

Paul the Overlord

Well Known Member
Guys,

Thanks for the advice. They fit darn near perfectly! Marty, I read you blog. Very helpful. Another question for the finish kit guys (mine ships from Vans this week!!). Should I wait to attach the tail until the fuel tank is in? I do want to paint soon though, I'm undecided. Thanks.

paul

NO

There are way to many things you need to do that involve the tail being on, that you will not save anything. The tank will fit in after the tail is on. I would still suggest leaving the rear widow out after drilling and tapping holes for it.

John Bender

My suggestions.

Before attaching the tail. Cut the plastic ties from the top of the tailcone down the left hand side and in the J-channel if you tightenened them. You will have to add some wiring in the finish kit. Ensure you have run the two sets of strings for the HS and rudder cables.

Install the fuel system before attaching the tailcone.

Attach the tailcone but do not rivet the turtle deck skins. Just cleco them, install the rear window. Match drill the window to the roll bar. Remove the window. Drill the roll bar to #36 and tap it to 6-32. The turtle deck skins are now removable. I think, access to rear is a lot better.

Build the pedals on the bench. Do NOT install the pedals. If they are installed, remove them.

Last edited:
Thanks!!

Marty/John,

How did you know I tightened them...hehehe??? All good advice. I want to attach it as it will look like an airplane and I can paint. I'm going to use Plastikote. BTW, I have always been told to not paint the firewall because the paint won't stick for very long. Know any secrets of painting the steel? Thanks for all the help!!!

I'm not Marty

but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night. it's to facilitate getting the coax (with BNC connector) up to the instrument panel.

AND ---------

Getting the 2 clamps in place around the two separated bundles of wire that will be above the pedals. I've taken mine out twice. Do as Marty says, or you too can take them out again, and again.

John Bender

Clipping cable ties

Marty,

How far back are you saying the cable ties will need to be clipped? Darn it, I assumed they should all be snugged up!

John

Back