What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Texas heat and a makeshift outdoor hangar!

txaviator

Well Known Member
It was finally time to test fit the wings, and to match drill the flaperon torque tubes. As I mentioned in an earlier post, while my shop is 1200', based on the layout I still didn't have room to mate the wings. So like thousands of others before me, it was time to move the project outside to do the work. Keep in mind that the Texas heat in August can be brutal, not to mention it will make your beer get way too hot when working outdoors. So I decided to use my new $44 portable 'hangar' from Academy Sports and Outdoors :D

My wife and I installed the wings and they fit perfectly! The spar stubs mated up great and there is no noticeable play in the wings / stubs. I match drilled the flaperon torque tubes, then removed the wings and moved back inside. A successful day!

Note: Some dude in a silver RV-something or other, with black and white military bars/stripes painted on the bottom of the wings, saw my project from aloft. He passed over my house, must have noticed it was odd that an airplane was in this guys back pasture, and hooked a 180 to come back for another look. It was pretty funny. Based on his heading, I'd bet he was going back to NW Regional or Hicks.

9l8w.jpg

mite a been me?

Gary, I left Arlington south then north, Saturday and Sunday. I was over in Arlington helping a man glass his RV7 windshield.

I must have lost you phone # could not find it. Please send me a text with your #

Back