What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

TEST PILOTS

Jeff Vaughan

Well Known Member
Is there a list of available test pilots? My wife has supported this project 110% and her only request right from the start is I need to have a test pilot do the first flight. Well that time is almost here.

Jeff, some things for you to look for in a test pilot.

These are opinions only, so take out of them what you paid. He/she should ask at least the following: have cowl removed for firewall forward inspection, have all access panels removed for control surface linkage inspection, have rear baggage compartment panel removed for bell crank inspection, have access mirror available. Be prepared to remove seat pans for control stick attach point inspection. Remove rear VS fairing along with the aft 3 screws on the wing root fairing for aft spar attach bolt inspection. Be prepared to address squawks based on the test pilots experience. I addressed one, while acceptable for first flight, which turned out to right on with my test pilots recommendation. No matter how tired you are, how proud you are or how nervous you are, tuck your ego away, no place for it during this inspection. As you can tell, this will take some time so be prepared for your first flight experience to be day long.

If your choice of test pilots shows and want to kick the tires and light the fire.........suddenly come down with the trots and excuse yourself for a day long bathroom break.......with the keys!!

Good luck, it is an experience beyond your imagination. Pad the inside of your knees (keeps bruising to a minimum);)

Test Pilot

Hi Jeff,
I am an airline pilot with 20 years instructing in RV's and 18 first flights with 18,000 hours TT, I fly to first flights anywhere for free. I also teach aerobatics and formation in RV's.

PHP:
I'm one...

Bryan

Seems that you are not too far from me. (krhv). I will be ready early summer (hoping). I will call you then. First flight is planned for south county airport. E16.

Ben

Back