What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Test drive a 9A?

cnpeters

Well Known Member
I was wondering if any RV-9A owners in the IL vicinity would be agreeable to a test drive? I have never flown in an RV, and would like to check one out briefly before committing to a kit, which I'm about ready to order. I have debated a bit on the -7A, but the -9A fits my mission better. I believe there is an owner based at Pontiac, IL (but may be in his early flyoff hours), and a couple in the Chicagoland area. I could fly/drive over most evenings and on the weekend.
The other option will be to go to Van's in Aurora, but it would be easier on my schedule to check out an a/c locally.
Many thanks,
Carl Peters

About 2 hrs drive north will take you to Oskosh. Go to Van's , get an RV9A ride, and see everything else.Good Luck .John.

And you can talk with RV-9(A) builders at Oshkosh.

There will be a number of us there with our RV-9A and RV-9 airplanes. I arrived at Oshkosh last year Sunday Evening and was in a line of four airplanes parked in my row in home-built camping. Three of the four airplanes were RV-9A's. The other was not an RV at all. There was an RV-9A parked in front of me, and two more on the row behind me. Mine was the 155th RV-9(A) built and flown. You can see my airplane parked at OSH on this page: http://www.n2prise.org/rv9a151.htm

For now, you can check out my web site and learn about the decisions that led me to the RV-9A with sliding canopy and the Meske canopy modification for easy baggage access.

Jerry K. Thorne
East Ridge, TN
RV-9A N2PZ
189.6 Hobbs hours since June 2005.
www.n2prise.org

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies. I will be at Osh, and plan to check everything out. However, in speaking to Van's, they have a limited number of slots daily that pretty much go ASAP, so they felt chances were not high for a ride. Plus with all the NOTAM issues and crazy traffic, a flight outside of the whole OSH scene would be preferable.
Carl

My dad and I have a 6A and would be happy to give u a ride around the area out of C09 *Morris, IL* ... it's not a 9A ... but would give u a idea.

Note: the plane is out on another trip and wouldn't get back til next Monday or Tuesday.

As I had said in the PM I am more than happy to give you a ride if you don't get one, it's just that I will not have a good weekend to do it until at least August 5th. Busy time of year for me.

Scott
#90598 - N598SD Flying - 62 hours

maybe

Carl: My plane will be in the paint shop for some touch up. If I get it back in time I'm going to fly it to OSH. If I make it you can certainly have a ride in mine. If by chance, you are vacationing or visiting Florida, that's another option. I'll let you know when it gets closer. take care, Jack

Back