What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Terra Xpndr

jmbrwn

Well Known Member
I recently purchased a flying RV6 and the xpndr is not working. It is a Terra TRT 250D. Everything seems to be working on the unit, but on a recent flight, ATC couldn't pick me up. I've cleaned connections with contact spray and yesterday tried again. When identing, the "T" symbol came on and I also had a "R" symbol present. I just knew it was working now...but ATC said negative. I've read that these units had a troubled history and am looking for advise from other Terra operators on whether to fix or invest in new xpndr. Thanks in advance.

I recently purchased a flying RV6 and the xpndr is not working. It is a Terra TRT 250D. Everything seems to be working on the unit, but on a recent flight, ATC couldn't pick me up. I've cleaned connections with contact spray and yesterday tried again. When identing, the "T" symbol came on and I also had a "R" symbol present. I just knew it was working now...but ATC said negative. I've read that these units had a troubled history and am looking for advise from other Terra operators on whether to fix or invest in new xpndr. Thanks in advance.

Been there... done that, pick you up a Garmin and you can say you've been there too. Don't waste your money... parts are really getting hard to find too.

Free Flight Systems in Waco, TX just either gave or sold their entire Terra support program, spare parts, manuals, i.p. rights, the whole 9 yards, to Texas State Technical College in Waco. TSTC is an FAA certifcated avionics repair station too!

http://www.wacotrib.com/news/content/news/stories/2009/10/13/10132009wacfreeflight.html

Contact info is:

Jeff Beene
Director, Aviation Programs
Texas State Technical College - Waco
3801 Campus Drive, Waco, TX 76705
Office: 254.867.3761 | 800.792.8784 ext. 3761
Cell: 254.733.8103
Fax: 254.867.2900
[email protected]| www.waco.tstc.edu

It is a powerful transponder

I have been flying with mine for 5 years and the only problem I have had was the loss of a segment of the seven element digital display for the least significant digit of the squawk code. I go through the IFR transponder check at Wings Avionics at Drake Field in Fayetteville, Arkansas every two years and they have to use there less sensitive tester because it puts out such a strong signal. Previously in my Archer I had a Bendix transponder as part of the old BX2000 package offered as an option in the 1981 models. After many years I started getting intermittent complaints from LA Center while flying over the mountains between Santa Barbara and San Louis Obispo about no transponder reply - skin track only. It turned out to be a failed cavity and when it was replaced the problem went away. The Terra Transponder is a good unit and your plane is wired for it - there is no way I would recommend trashing it and starting over because of a failure. Get it fixed. Gulfcoast Avionics in Lakeland, Florida can do that if the transponder has failed - it will cost but nothing like gutting your panel for a new equipment installation.

Bob Axsom

Back