What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tent size at OSH

plehrke

Well Known Member
Patron
This will be my first year camping in HBC area (first year my wife has decided not to attend)
Questions
What is the largest tent dimensions that will fit in the space provided? I can borrow several different tents from friends but they seem too big to fit.
What is the optimum size tent dimensions? I may just buy a tent.

Ive seen some pretty big tents. I doubt very seriously that any of your friends tents will too big. Here’s a couple of pics of 2 different tents I’ve used over the years

Attachments

• IMG_1491.jpeg
    IMG_1491.jpeg
    404.7 KB · Views: 175
  • IMG_0197.jpeg
    IMG_0197.jpeg
    509.5 KB · Views: 163
There's a thread about tents that'll handle a storm. Quite probably a large tent that's not intended for a storm will blow down, if not get blown away. Might be worth looking up that thread.

Dave

Anything that fits within the 4 corners of your airplane is acceptable. It cannot stick out past the tail because that would block the taxi lane which is pretty narrow to begin with.

Not that I have a dog in this hunt, but also consider if it storms, alot of the camping area will be flooded, and water will be getting into the tent, sleeping bags, tablets, clothes, etc.
Back when I'd go by myself to OSH and camp in Scholler, I had a Marine combat tent. Weathered all the high winds with no issues, actually slept through them:eek:, and no water in the tent. YEP Scholler was flooded.

Cheap tents are usually seen in the dumpsters after the wind storms, while the good ones kept everything very dry. I used this when I was a Boy Scout Leader years ago, and even in freezing, wet weather, it was comfortable inside. I think Eureka made it. I have 2 of them.
Amazon shows them, https://www.amazon.com/U-S-Military...Military+Surplus+Tents&qid=1688851271&sr=8-15

Tom

Not that I have a dog in this hunt, but also consider if it storms, alot of the camping area will be flooded, and water will be getting into the tent, sleeping bags, tablets, clothes, etc.
Back when I'd go by myself to OSH and camp in Scholler, I had a Marine combat tent. Weathered all the high winds with no issues, actually slept through them:eek:, and no water in the tent. YEP Scholler was flooded.

Cheap tents are usually seen in the dumpsters after the wind storms, while the good ones kept everything very dry. I used this when I was a Boy Scout Leader years ago, and even in freezing, wet weather, it was comfortable inside. I think Eureka made it. I have 2 of them.
Amazon shows them, https://www.amazon.com/U-S-Military...Military+Surplus+Tents&qid=1688851271&sr=8-15

Tom

FYI the drainage in HBC vs Scholler is vastly different. While there are some low spots, I’ve never seen tents in HBC get flooded out. Collapsed yes, but not flooded.

Last edited:
FYI the drainage in HBC vs Scholler is vastly different. While there are some low spots, I’ve never seen tents in HBC get flooded out. Collapsed yes, but not flooded.

I have unfortunately seen them collapse…then flood! Double whammy, Mother Nature finishing the job….. ;)

I have unfortunately seen them collapse…then flood! Double whammy, Mother Nature finishing the job….. ;)

Yeah but the key variable was the collapse. The HBC grounds themselves drain pretty well except for some specific areas. IMO the key is to have a decent but not necessarily expensive tent. The tents in my post above survived the gnarlest weather since 2015 that Osh has to offer without issue.

Cheap tents are usually seen in the dumpsters after the wind storms, while the good ones kept everything very dry.
Tom

I agree with this. I can count multiple times in my 25 Oshkosh camping trips where a neighbor had a tent collapse during one of the storms. Inevitably, the tent was a bargain basement "car camping" type tent with fiberglass poles and enough height you could stand up in it. Plus a rainfly that covered about a third of the tent.

Spending the night in a wet tent, followed by trying to dry all your stuff the next day is a very bad outcome. You may get by for a couple of years with a cheap tent, but one day the reaper comes calling.

This will be my first year camping in HBC area (first year my wife has decided not to attend)
Questions
What is the largest tent dimensions that will fit in the space provided? I can borrow several different tents from friends but they seem too big to fit.
What is the optimum size tent dimensions? I may just buy a tent.

One thing to consider is how much tent can you fit in your airplane with your gear, unless you are shipping all your gear.

I use a Marmot 3P tent, not cheap, but I’ve never been wet nor has it blown away.

YMMV

My experience..small is usually better

My personal experience (RV-4 camping) at OSH,SNF, Triple Tree and other events has been best with a smallish 3 man which equates to a decent one man size tent. get a good one with robust wind and rain rating and be sure to have a base tarp fitted to stay completely under the tent. Mine is a mid range priced Kelty brand that didn't break the bank, but having witnessed many big or under-rated tents imploding or blowing away , the money spent and lack of being able to fully stand up has been well worth it. If you spend the day walking the grounds and the usual social events, the tent needs not be big to be comfortable. Additionally, a "self inflating" sleeping mat (or 2)is a must ! Skimping on a good tent can led to a horrible experience. Practice setting it up yourself before going..can't be caught reading the directions on site!

Check the stakes out. Toss the small wire ones and get some decent stakes.

My Coleman Sundome 3-man survived the last 2 years at Oshkosh. It has a 7x7 footprint and is 4 foot tall. It only weighs 8 pounds and costs around $80 on Amazon.
Recommend buying longer stakes for the 4 corners, as mentioned above.

My Coleman Sundome 3-man survived the last 2 years at Oshkosh. It has a 7x7 footprint and is 4 foot tall. It only weighs 8 pounds and costs around $80 on Amazon.
Recommend buying longer stakes for the 4 corners, as mentioned above.
I also have an older 3 person Sundome and it has served, and survived, quite well, especially for the price. Not stand-up for sure, but not a tiny backpacker size either. Just big enough for two.

Back