What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Temp probe in Avstar carb

flybye

Well Known Member
I have a new Avstar carb and wish to fit a Dynon temp probe. The brass set screw which needs to be replaced with the probe is seized. Anti seize spray hasn't helped. I'd probably need to drill it out and use a removal tool to extract it. Question is, how useful is this probe? I suspect that it's not that helpful and possibly even misleading data. Would you install the probe or move on?

Hi Robinl

It's never a bad thing to have that probe in there, but it sort of really depends on where/when/how you fly and the environment. The reality is that RV's as a whole (there are of course exceptions to this) don't suffer carb ice issues like some other planes/installations. If it's an Avstar carb it can't be that old, so it shouldn't be that big of a deal....but if it is, I don't know sure sure what I'd do about it other than drill and extract it as mentioned. One thing to keep in mind: "if it ain't broke don't fix it".

The other side of the coin is that if you have the probe it's certainly not a negative thing to have it installed and it is suprisingly accurate.

My 2 cents as usual!

Cheers,
Stein

Have you tried...

an imact driver? Sort of a screw driver that you tap (or bang) with a hammer. It's used a lot with motorcycles and such. Its also good for a almost buggered up screw head due to the impact drives it into the screw.

Carb temperature probe

Hi Robinl

It's never a bad thing to have that probe in there, but it sort of really depends on where/when/how you fly and the environment. The reality is that RV's as a whole (there are of course exceptions to this) don't suffer carb ice issues like some other planes/installations. If it's an Avstar carb it can't be that old, so it shouldn't be that big of a deal....but if it is, I don't know sure sure what I'd do about it other than drill and extract it as mentioned. One thing to keep in mind: "if it ain't broke don't fix it".

The other side of the coin is that if you have the probe it's certainly not a negative thing to have it installed and it is suprisingly accurate.

My 2 cents as usual!

Cheers,
Stein

Point taken Stein. I'll drill out the screw and install the probe. My experience of these things is that they are lagging indicators and tell you more about the temperature of the metal than the air. They serve a purpose but some interpretation is required.

an imact driver? Sort of a screw driver that you tap (or bang) with a hammer. It's used a lot with motorcycles and such. Its also good for a almost buggered up screw head due to the impact drives it into the screw.

My impact driver requires a force that I'd rather not transfer to the Carb:eek: I'll use an extractor which should leave the threads intact.

Thanks

Hot wrench

Any chance a little heat would help getting the screw out. I've had good luck heating a nut or housing in the past on auto repairs, but you need to use the heat sparingly so you don't cook any rubber / plastic parts.

Oh yeah...make sure there's no gas in the carb either. :eek:

PS. This suggestion given assuming carb is on bench.

Back