What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

teeny-weeny TSO'd transponder.

Well done Dynon then! I wondered and checked their website quickly, but ARINC and Transponders were on their "future" column in their what's-coming-soon-for-Skyview chart

upcoming option

I don't know about the size/weight, but the configuration is very similar to one that will be coming out next year, from VAL. The entire wiring will be power, ground, and antenna connection, plus static line. I have had good results with their stuff and am waiting for their unit. They seem to have a good price point and good service, also.

Bob Kelly

I believe Dynon is going to use the TRIG remote unit for their transponder. I'm just guessing but it sure looks like the TT21 remote unit. The TRIG is normally a two-piece Mode S transponder (control head and remote transceiver) that has a built-in encoder in the control head. I'm guessing that Dynon is using their EFIS for the control head/encoder portion and the TRIG remote mount unit for the transceiver. A simple two-way RS232 serial bus connects the control head to the remote.

I first saw the TRIG units at Osh last July and was impressed with the product line. Very small and lightweight. The price for the TT21 is very competitive (under $2,000 including control head,encoder,remote unit)) and should give Garmin some competition in the Mode S world. They also make a KT-76A plug-in replacement to upgrade an older King system to a Mode S without installing a new tray or connector.

Disclosure Notice! I am an authorized dealer for the TRIG line.

I just completed the installation and check-off inspection of the Trig unit in my Pitt's. I have four flights on it now, and it works great. Installation was easy and neat. My Garmin 396 feeds it ADSB out and I now have TIS traffic (on the Garmin) where available. Sweet upgrade from the old Terra I purchased the aircraft with!

Forrest

Our transponder is a partnership between us and Trig. We should be shipping full integration with the remote transponder box in just a few weeks.

Our transponder is a partnership between us and Trig. We should be shipping full integration with the remote transponder box in just a few weeks.

Has the Trig transponder unit been modified with custom software for Dynon or is it their standard production unit?

The transponder has custom firmware on it and is a part number unique to Dynon.

We do not have any plans to connect this transponder to the D10 or D100 series of units. SkyView's user interface and hardware was designed from the beginning to support transponder integration, while there is not a good way to add this to the D10 or D100.

Back