What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Taylor squeezer and cleco quality

Vincenzo

Hi everyone!
This is my first message, but i follow the VAF community for a lot of time.

After one years of consideration and planning, i'm ready to order tools first, RV8 standard kit (fastback) second.

I will make two order, one to Brown and one to Cleveland. High quality for both,and both have interesting tools.

Now i have a doubt about the pneumatic sqeezer, Colbalt Jobber Drill and cleco(qty.1000).

If i order by bronw i can save 440 $, BUT Taylor squeezer, Brown and Brown cleco, have the same quality of Cleaveland tools?
I do not consider the shipping cost, need two anyway.

Thanks for the advice and sorry for grammar mistakes.

Vincenzo
Bolzano - Italy

Hi Vincenzo,

Fine choice of kit - I'm building an RV-8 also :D

I am very happy with both Brown and Cleaveland tools.

I don't have a pneumatic squeezer. I have a Main Squeeze from Cleaveland: http://www.cleavelandtool.com/Main-Squeeze-model-22/productinfo/SCH22/#.WCisAmfrt9A I use it a lot, especially when setting 4D rivets. I also use a lightweight squeezer for most of the 3D rivets. I have a couple of yokes for each. A small yoke is nice for edge work since it's lighter. A thin nose yoke is needed for a lot of places with limited access.

I do recommend Brown tool for their spring-back dimple dies. I think the dimples look better than the cheaper ones I started with.

Have fun and good luck.

Bruce

Proud to be in the -8 company ;) :cool:

I chose 3 yoke:
3" Pneumatic Yoke
2.5" Flange-Nose Pneu. Yoke
4" Thin-Nose Pneu. Yoke
if I need more types , a friend can lend its

About spring-back dimple dies, i thought to find the best to Cleaveland, I'm wrong?

I appreciate your help!

Vincenzo

Other reputable tool vendors are The Yard Store and Aircraft Tool Supply. I've bought from them as well as the ones you've mentioned and have always had excellent customer service. There are probably others.

Dave

Clekos

Vicenzo
Congratulations. On the clekos, ask the brand. Stear clear of Clekolock. Wedgelock are best.

I live 15 minutes from Brown so I have a lot of tools from them. I have had no problem with any of them, but I did buy the DRDT dimpler Vs the Brown C frame. I haven't tried their C frame but it looked a little to light weight for my liking. Everything else even the Brown brand drill, rivet guns, and clecos have been good or better quality. I do recommend Cleveland for dimple dies. Browns were good but I liked the Cleveland dimple better. Seemed a little more crisp.

Proud to be in the -8 company ;) :cool:

About spring-back dimple dies, i thought to find the best to Cleaveland, I'm wrong?

I appreciate your help!

Vincenzo

I'm not 100% sure which company I bought the dies from, it might have been Cleaveland - but the good spring-back dies do cost more and are worth it. The cheap ones are useful too - I had a few places I needed to grind off some of a die to get in a tight spot. Also have the occasional need to chuck a die on a rivet set and pound a dimple with the rivet gun - don't want to use the good ones for that. :D

thank you all for the help, I appreciate it!

Larry, I follow your advice, buy the Cleco from Cleaveland, I will not go crazy with bad Cleco

Dclaffey/SgtZim, Cleaveland dimple die and drdt2, are the first things that I chose, are all pleased with these tools.

Concerning the pneumatic squeezer, does anyone know if it is better taylor sold by Brown or that of Cleaveland (do not know the brand)?
I would make the order as soon as possible to organize my workshop

Thanks again!

Vincenzo

Vicenzo,

Check the thread nearby about squeezer problems with Yardstore squeezers. It would appear that their current offering does not fit standard dies easily and you have to use a compromise. You need to be able to get the ram fully retracted to allow enough space to fit the dies we use.

Looks like it, but they have added information regarding how to get the sets in. Best to check.

There appears to be an adjustable lower ram, similar to the hand squeezer available which may help.

Many refurbished squeezers have a release button which enables the lower ram to fully retract. These are the only ones I have seen until my buddy bought one from Yardstore and they have been most unhelpful since.

Finally i have purchased and received the tools Cleveland, many thanks to Mike and Annette, very professional!

The cleco by monogram (wedgelock)are really the best choice,money well spent!

Pneumatic squeezer, is very controllable along all piston movement, high quality of construction, i like much! what Mike says in her video is exactly the true.

Thank everyone for the help. ;)
Next step... order the kit from Van's :D :D :D :D :D

Back