What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Taxi light in bottom cowl

Janekom

Well Known Member
Patron
I have now started doing some night flying with our 10. Standard wing tip landing lights as per plan - so they are not good but at least you can see in front of the wing tips when you taxi. Not worth much coming in for a landing.

My concern is that I cannot see straight ahead while going to and from the RWY. I remember seeing an "indent" in the bottom cowl during building and was wondering if any of you out there has used this to install a taxi light.

My partner in the 10 has suggested a "bull bar" on the cabin top with four or so big spot lights like those you will find on an off road vehicle. ;)

I have now started doing some night flying with our 10. Standard wing tip landing lights as per plan - so they are not good but at least you can see in front of the wing tips when you taxi. Not worth much coming in for a landing.

My concern is that I cannot see straight ahead while going to and from the RWY. I remember seeing an "indent" in the bottom cowl during building and was wondering if any of you out there has used this to install a taxi light.

My partner in the 10 has suggested a "bull bar" on the cabin top with four or so big spot lights like those you will find on an off road vehicle. ;)

That's why a fair number of RVs have installed the Duckworks HIDs in the leading edge of the wing. Wing tip lighting just doesn't work well in a RV-10 seeing what is directly in front of the nose. They do a great job of lighting up what is in front of the wing tip.

Geoff @ Aerosport Products is working on a LED cowl light. I'm not sure how close that is to market. You'll have to ask him.

Wing Tip lights

Well several people have upgraded the standard wing tip lights to www.planelights.com hid light kits. They fut the standard vans mr16 light mounts and put out 4400 lumins. I just ordered a kit and they work as well as the duckworks for less then a third of the cost. They show the 50watt complete kits for $250 on there web sites. And everyone that has them love them from what i have seen in the forums.

One might want to look at them, I will be posting pics and information on them as soon and i can do some testing with them.

Back