What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tapping noise coming from tunnel area when applying Left/Right brake

Gaylon

RV10, Tapping noise coming from tunnel area when applying Left/Right brake

I have a tapping noise I hear when lightly applying the right (mostly) and left brake. The tapping noise sounds very much like if you where to rattle the "top hat" (WD-1015 Collar Assembly) on the nose gear link assembly. I had this before and after performing SB14-8-29. The tapping rhythm changes with speed and is only noticeable at slow speeds only when taxiing at idle speeds. So it will increase and decrease and almost sounds like a stick in the spoke scenario. Again only if I lightly apply the brake on one side or the other but not when both brakes are applied.

I orginaly thought I had a portion of the Show Planes lower cowling attachment that covers the nose gear area hitting the engine mount frame but I don't believe this to be the case anymore as I have trimmed this area for more clearance.

I did originally have only one washer under the top hat and after the SB added a second washer.. Maybe I need a third but I have no idea how I would fit another on there at this time.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!!

Last edited:
Could it be loose bushings va144 or 143? Could it be that when you apply the left brake, the right rudder cable is loosening up and hitting against the side of the tunnel? Nose wheel axle?

Thx for the reply Bill,
I don't think it is the rudder cables as a possibility since the noise they would make against the tunnel would be a different noise not sounding as if it's hitting a solid structure.

Certainly I will check VA-144 and VA-143 as this might be showing out of tolerance bushing sizes as suggested in another thread causing the tapping.
Thanks.

Have someone pull the tail down and grab the nose wheel and check the side to side and vertical play with the wheel off the ground

Back