What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tape vs Proseal?

Well Known Member
Reading the electronic version of the Construction Manual, I see that Van's recommends using 3M F9460PC VHB tape to bond the trailing edge wedges on control surfaces instead of tank sealant now.

page 05-11:
"Use of double-sided adhesive tape makes it possible to keep the wedge aligned all the way through the TE build process. We recommend 3M tape product number F9460PC VHB for this purpose. In the past fuel tank sealant has been used on RVs for this application."

So here's a question: Is this tape acceptable for bonding the foam ribs in trim tabs and trailing edges, or is it only for use on the AEX wedges?

I can see where the concern might be that the porous nature of the foam rib would not lend itself to use of the tape, but I thought I'd raise the question. Has anyone asked Van's tech support about this before?

Per Vans it's not for the foam ribs, in my case I used sealant on the ribs and tape on the trailing edges.

I actually emailed them the other day because I'm working on my elevators. They said that they have not tried it therefore cannot recommend it. I think if they were not as porous it would work fine, but I'm using pro seal... But I've used the tape and am happy with it for trailing edges.

I'd be more comfortable doing the riveted trailing edges using proseal. With it, I know I have an opportunity to re-position the parts if they don't line up exactly on the first try. With the tape, I had a (potentially unfounded) fear that I'd get things stuck together slightly out of position and it would be a challenge to reposition things without damaging the skins.

For those who've used the tape, I know Van's documentation gives hints to help align things properly the first time, but if things are off slightly, how easy is it to reposition things?

The tape takes time to cure as well. That said, if I taped it together and things were not quite right to the extent that I had to pull it apart, I'd probably pull all the tape off and put a new piece on there.

I've used VHB at work. Once cured that stuff is awesome. You'll damage the aluminum before you pull it apart.

Tape is pretty good

I used the tape on my rudder trailing edge and I was very happy with the result. Most important is to ensure a good adhesion before you remove the backing paper or else you risk pulling a bit of the adhesive material.

Be sure to clean the surface. I had used epoxy primer so I was able to clean the surfaces with a light wipe of acetone without removing the primer which helps. Apply the tape. Really give it a good rub along the entire length to help with the adhesion. Then slowly peel the backing paper off (almost 180 degrees straight back). be sure that you are getting the backing off but not pulling the adhesive off the part - This stuff wants to stick to the backing paper as much as it wants to stick to the part. Slow and easy wins the race. Be sure you don't stick your other part down out of alignment!!! As Cderk says... you WILL damage the aluminum before you get the pieces apart.

Last edited:
Back