What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tape affecting RV-12 Lexan Rear Window.

DeltaRomeo

doug reeves: unfluencer
Staff member
...I got this note from the factory late this afternoon, asking if I could post a note over the weekend. They should post more detailed info on the factory site Monday. dr

"We've recently received information from the field that the adhesives in some tapes may adversely affect the Lexan that is used in the rear window of the RV-12. (P/N F-1277A). At this time we are asking builders to refrain from using any sort of tape on that specific window until the problem is better understood. If you need to paint that area of the fuselage, then it is advised to simply remove the window."

I would imagine the same caution could be extended to include the canopy.

I had blue painter's tape on my rear window for several months with no ill effect at all. It must be a certain glue or tape causing the problem.

Thanks for the heads up DR.

Last edited:
I would imagine the same caution could be extended to include the canopy.

I had blue painter's tape on my rear window for several months with no ill effect at all. It must be a certain glue or tape causing the problem.

Thanks for the heads up DR.

The rear window is lexan, the main canopy is the same acrylic material that Van's has used for years for canopies.
I have seen many different tapes left on the acrylic canopies for years with no ill effect. Lexan appears to be very different when it comes to the effects of adhesives or chemicals.

There is a list...

The rear window is lexan, the main canopy is the same acrylic material that Van's has used for years for canopies.
I have seen many different tapes left on the acrylic canopies for years with no ill effect. Lexan appears to be very different when it comes to the effects of adhesives or chemicals.

...of GE Approved cleaning chemicals for Lexan in this document.

http://www.sundancesupply.com/GE-CorrWarranty.pdf

Lexan appears to be very different when it comes to the effects of adhesives or chemicals.

It is interesting that Sheffild Plastics advertises Makrolon AR as being chemical resistant.

http://www.sheffieldplastics.com/product_info.cfm?nav_id=3,1,1,1

I was told by a Vans rep at SnF this is the same stuff NASCAR approved for windows in their cars as it is fuel resistant. The proximity of the fuel fill cap to the rear window called for the chemical resistance, but evidently tape glue is not on the list.

It is interesting that Sheffild Plastics advertises Makrolon AR as being chemical resistant.

http://www.sheffieldplastics.com/product_info.cfm?nav_id=3,1,1,1

I was told by a Vans rep at SnF this is the same stuff NASCAR approved for windows in their cars as it is fuel resistant. The proximity of the fuel fill cap to the rear window called for the chemical resistance, but evidently tape glue is not on the list.

I think the key word is resistant (not the same as claiming chemical proof).

Not all tapes seem to have any effect on it, but it seems that some do.

I think the key word is resistant (not the same as claiming chemical proof).

Not all tapes seem to have any effect on it, but it seems that some do.

Yep, I think Vans found that out of the RV-12 fuel tank site window. ;)

I guess that's why they want us to be called experimental.

Back