What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tanks Passed!

Auburntsts

Well Known Member
Huge sigh of relief as I tested both fuel tanks today using Van's test kit (cap and air valve), a balloon on the vent, and soapy water. Pressurized the tanks and no leaks were detected with the soapy water and the balloon remained inflated to the same size for 3 hrs after which I called it good. The balloon itself really isn't a leak indicator for a variety of reasons but I left it on after the soapy water just for grins and giggles.

My SB fuselage arrives tomorrow via Partain so I'm marching right along. :D

Good news, Todd...

I haven't checked mine yet, but I probably should. Not knowing has resulted in a few sleepless nights. :) I'd like to know, so I can make the appropriate plans.

Do you have any photos of the test?

Phil,
I do, but haven't downloaded them yet. I'll try and get'em posted tomorrow. However, they really don't show that much, just an inflated orange balloon hanging off of the vent line. What I did was install the fuel pickup finger strainers and then capped them off with the caps that came in the test kit. I then installed the air valve in the drain valve flange. I installed the gas caps and covered them with packing tape and zip tied a balloon over the vent. I then pressurized the tank with my shop air supply just barely turned on. After about 10-20 seconds the balloon inflated and I wiped down all rivets and seams with a sponge soaked in soapy water. The first tank showed a leak around the balloon (the zip tie was a little loose so it was an easy fix) but everything else was airtight.

My tanks aren't pretty as I didn't try very hard to keep things neat. I took a brute force approach to applying Proseal using mainly large and small popsicle sticks to slather Proseal just about everywhere, but it worked. I used 1 1/2 cans of Proseal and used both Rick G's seal, cleco, and set aside for a few days method and the traditional set when wet method. Basically I just did whatever I needed to in order to git'r done.

Most other things are easily redone...

not the tanks though. Good job. Almost 2 full cans for me too.

Working on aileron trim now then on to wing tips later this week. My fuselage sb kit is sitting on the shelves just waiting on me. I am shooting to be finished by the end of next year or beginning of 2012. Then its going to be time to take some big trips with the family. Keep on truckin'!!

Back