What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tanks / Checkoway method...

s10sakota

Well Known Member
I'm using the Dan Checkowey (sp?) method for fitting the z brackets and fuel tanks. I now have all of the z brackets bolted to the spar, and the tank is put in place fully built (clecod) with the rear baffle in place.

My gap with the leading edge looks great. Things seems to line up very nicely. The next step is to drill the holes in the two end ribs.

BUT...how do I know that the screw holes are lined up? I'm talking about the holes and bolts that are used to bolt the tank to the spar. They 'seem' lined up, but without having the tank skin holes drilled and dimpled, I can't insert a bolt to verify that the holes line up perfectly with the holes and nutplanes in the spar.

I was looking at Mike Bullocks weblog and here's his page with the step that I'm on... http://www.rvplane.com/?categoryid=3&dayid=200

He didn't mention anything about having to move the tank left or right 1/32, 1/16, or whatever to get the bolt holes lined up.

I thought I would look for advice or instructions before I start drilling any holes! I'm tired of re-ordering parts from Vans!! ;)

1/8" clecoes

You can use 1/8" clecoes through the undrilled tank screw holes. They will fit through the corresponding nutplates on the spar. If you look closely at some of Mike's pictures, or look at the ones from my build (starting around here), you can see the copper clecoes being used to lock the tank skin into position.

Back