What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tanks are done but

Smilin' Jack

Well Known Member
When I installed the fuel tanks and the situation is the same on the left or right tank, top surface,I have a slight bulge between the number 3 and 4 bolt from the leading edge that go into the reinforcement strip between the leading edge and the fuel tank. None of this was present when every thing was just clecoed together. (both leadings are done)
The skin of the fuel tank does not lay down perfect..anyone else have this situation..I looked at a couple other RV's and noticed either a slight buldge in the same area or a bulge between the horizontal spar screws which thankfully I don't have.
I don't know of any thing to do about this except when filling and priming the skins for paint.

One last question, how do you make one of the balloon
Leak tester, Or the water tester.

Thanks
Smilin' Jack

Last edited:
balloon tester

Put a cap on the vent, screw in the drain valve and put a balloon on the fuel outlet. Of course, filler cap closed.

Now. If you don't have any leaks in the caps, your balloon attachment or the vent cap, you can fill the balloon by blowing compressed air into the tank through the drain valve.

Done.

Check a local altimeter setting and temperature. measure the diameter of the balloon at the largest point. If it holds air, it ought to hold fuel. If you've got obvious leaks, check with soapy water or windex... a leak will show as foam or bubbles. If no obvious leaks are present, check several days later at a time when the temperature and altimeter setting are the same. If the diameter is the same, you've got a leak-free tank.

That's how I did it. Others chime in.

Last edited:
Thanks Bill for the information.

I really thought that after a couple of days the balloon would go down just due to the air going through the balloon membrane,

I get some caps Thursday when I am at the airport.

thanks again,

Jack

I did find the problem with the small gap between the screws on the fuel tank at the reinforcement strip to the leading edge.. It appears to be the fuel tank but in reality it is the leading edge holding the reinforcement plate. I ran a straight edge across the leading edge in those areas and it seems that there is a slight depression on the leading edge. Boy you can not see this with the eye just looking at it. the rib looks perfect... I thought I could drill out the rivets and put in a small shim and bring it out flush... it'd be a lot of work and don't know if the results would be worth the effort... I am not building a show plane,,, just one that is safe, well built for my wife and I to travel in and have some fun.

Jack

it's very normal and you can shim the outboard leading edge area or you can just live with it, i chose the latter

Back