What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tank Vent Location -- Offset Required?

Stalldog

Well Known Member
On dwg 16A it shows the vent bulkhead location offset from the main line run to the outboard rib. Is there any reason for this offset, or can I just run straight from the inner rib to the outboard without the offset? Just want to be sure there's no interference problem down the road when connecting to the fuse vent line.

Last edited:
May I ask why?

I think if you move it to where it runs straight it just might make it more difficult to hook up. You could end up having to make an awkward bend or having less room to get a wrench in there. I ran mine just like the plans show, was easy and I haven't given it a second thought. I saw a pic of your spar repair and it looked nice! This little task should be easy for you too:)

Thanks, Scott, exactly what I was wondering about -- would it make the hookup more difficult.

Reason I was asking is I was having so much fun working with Proseal :D that I got caught up in getting the job done and riveted the inboard and outboard ribs in place BEFORE running the vent line. Instructions say just before installing the rear baffle to be sure the vent line is installed -- yeah, that would be a great idea! :rolleyes: I thought it might be difficult to run as shown on the plans, but worked with it some last night and it's pretty easy. Based on your comment about the future connection, I'd better leave it per the plans.

Spar repair? Yep, everybody gets lucky sometime! Used up one of my lives on that one.

Jim,

One thing that is not obvious from the instructions is that you need to put the vent line in position before installing the end ribs. I did my first tank with the outboard rib in place. It would have been much easier if I had put it in place first. The offset allows you to tweak the position slightly and make adjustments. You cant move the vent line along the length of the tank too much due to the bend at the filler end so the only way to make small adjustments is by adjusting the bend slightly.

Yep, Ray, that's the one tiny detail that I failed to see, so I've already riveted the outboard and inboard ribs in place. From what I did last night, though, I think I'll be able to install the vent line okay. It may not be as pretty as the one I put in the right tank, but it'll work! :D

Learning comment: You can read the instructions and look at the plans, but unless you are REALLY READING THE INSTRUCTIONS AND LOOKING AT THE PLANS then you may miss something. Too bad this won't be the last time I do something like this! :rolleyes:

Back