What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tank Skin Damage

ssisca

While dimpling the outboard rib holes I slipped and punched a hole in the skin within close proximity of the factory hole. The unintended hole and dimple has a small crack in it and there is very little material between the factory hole and my fowl up. I have posted pics that show the original mistake and what it looks like after I squeezed it with a flat set.

Can this be fixed properly on a tank skin or should I just let it go and start fresh with a new skin. My only reluctance in doing so is that all of the tank part for the skin have been fully fabricated match drilled, dimpled and deburred.

I apologize if this post seems redundant but I could not find one relatde to a tank skin.

I would really appreciate any input.

Thanks,
Steve
February192012

If there is enough space on either side of damage to add a hole, that would be my choice. Stop drill end of crack. Ensure that plenty of proseal is used in this area. You could ask Vans Tech Support tomorrow am.

1 Opinion

You will get more than one opinion on this, I am sure of it.

Here is what I would do.
Dimple the factory hole as per the plans.
Match drill the new hole and countersink that hole in the skin only. The tank skin is .040 and can accommodate a countersunk -3 or -4 rivet.
It would be preferable to use a -3 rivet but because of the cracks you might want to enlarge the hole to accommodate a -4 rivet and eliminate the cracks.
While adding a -4 rivet in the middle of a skin sometimes presents a challenge for riveting later, this row of rivets is easily accessible with a squeezer.
Bottom line, I don't think you need a new skin.

If the extra hole is on the bottom dimple the factory hole and keep building. The proseal will keep every thing together just fine. Top side the same thing and a little filler before paint to hide the hole. The proseal should goop out the hole and may be enough filler as it is paintable.

Back