What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tank Sealer/RTV in elevator trailing edges

Just wondering about the quick blurb in the plans about using tank sealer/RTV to join the aft ends of the opposite stiffeners together to prevent skin cracking. The plans offer almost zero discussion. So, a few things....tank sealer or RTV? Do you tape off a small area on the ends of the stiffeners when priming them, so the sealer/RTV can adhere to metal directly? Finally, what about moisture/water incursion in a finished and flying plane.....does doing this prevent free flow and draining out of the ends of the elevator?

Thanks so much!

Brad
RV-7

Have used the RVT in the past around my cap, now I keep finding small pieces in my fuel tank, would not recommend using it at all.

I forgot to put anything in my elevators and called Vans about the omission. The response was don't worry about it. Some elevators have had skin cracks, many others not. Just keep an eye on it and if a crack occurs fix it, it is no big deal.

I like a light weight airplane....:)

I forgot to put anything in my elevators and called Vans about the omission. The response was don't worry about it. Some elevators have had skin cracks, many others not. Just keep an eye on it and if a crack occurs fix it, it is no big deal.
I like a light weight airplane....:)

No RTV or anything else in mine. Been flying since May of 1993. No cracks. .016 skins.
Just built per plans!

I think those cracks are caused by a non-perfect TE bend causing preload against the stiffener rivets. I can't visualize a flat stringer on a flat surface cracking unless the TE actually twists under load.

YEP!

I think those cracks are caused by a non-perfect TE bend causing preload against the stiffener rivets. I can't visualize a flat stringer on a flat surface cracking unless the TE actually twists under load.

That is precisely the problem!

Back