What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tank sealant

SuperCubDriver

Well Known Member
I got a tank sealer from Vans part number MC-236-B1/2. I guess I have a working time of 30 minutes once mixed.
It looks like I have to mix the hole cartridge and use it. My intention was to remove and mix whatever I need in several sessions. So how long can I use the sealer once mixed and keeping it airtight in the cartridge? Or can I cut it open and mix it by weight only what I need? Expiry date is 2/12.

If you choose to mix the whole tube, you will have 30 minutes whether it is exposed to air or not. The only way to keep it from setting up once mixed is to freeze the tube at -40 degrees F. There is a way to remove the components separately from the cartridge and only mix the quantity you need. The components are mixed 10:1 by weight.

Suggest you buy a pint can of it. Activator is supplied in a separate container. If you are below 70F you will have a longer set time. In my hangar at 60F the B1/2 takes hours to set. I often mix just 1/2 oz or less for small jobs.

Tank Sealant

I happened to have an unused 4oz (or so??) pack on hand, left over from a project on my RV6. With that pack I have found it easy to just use a bit at a time. I pulled the black tube and marked each of the tubes in fourths. Have been metering it out and mixing it as I need it. (On the RV12 they have you use it at several different times.) I agree that a better approach is to buy a pint and just use it, but if you have the smaller size it seems to work fine to mix it as needed.

Keith W.
RV6 flying (built 1989 - 99)
RV12 building (started May 2011, waiting for finish kit)

I just received the sealant thinking I can use it when required. It is not so obviously, ordering again is not worth it due to high shipping costs. Perhaps I can locate a sealer here in Germany or wait for my next order.

Back