What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tank Sealant Working Temps

With the WX getting crummy, I think I see one 50 degree day remaining, on Saturday. I want to get some Flamemaster tank sealant mixed and applied so I can finish the elevators, but can't find any working temps in their literature. Does 50 sound reasonable, with just a longer hardening time, or is that too cold?

Cheers,

Brad

With the WX getting crummy, I think I see one 50 degree day remaining, on Saturday. I want to get some Flamemaster tank sealant mixed and applied so I can finish the elevators, but can't find any working temps in their literature. Does 50 sound reasonable, with just a longer hardening time, or is that too cold?

Cheers,

Brad

I sealed at least one of my tanks under those conditions. It took a long time to cure, but I've had no problems after 11+ years. If you want it to cure faster, just put it somewhere warm (inside the house works) when you're finished sealing it.

Gents,

I've been buisy with a new home and had to stop building for about 8 months. I stored the quart of tank sealant in the freezer during this time and am about ready to resume sealing the tanks. How long is tank sealant good for if it has been in the freezer?

Thanks,

For the few dollars you would save, it's not worth the risk using sealant for the tanks beyond the date marked on the can. That being said, I have had a can in the freezer for the last year. I pull it out now and then to seal joints, use on the NACA vents, ect. It has cured fully every time. I still would not use it on the tanks at this point.

To the OP, I built both of my tanks in the winter. The sealant took a long time to cure, but it did. It was actually an advantage since I had a longer pot life.

Gents,

I've been buisy with a new home and had to stop building for about 8 months. I stored the quart of tank sealant in the freezer during this time and am about ready to resume sealing the tanks. How long is tank sealant good for if it has been in the freezer?

Thanks,

Wow, blessed with a very warm (for Indy) set of Dec days and got it done. Did it with the rudder trailing edge back in the summer and the tank sealer seemed easier to use than this time because of the two rudder skin halves. With the elevator, "jumping" from one spot to the next was pretty messy, so there's some goop in spots here and there around the inside, besides the stiffener ends. That will be OK, since it's just conceivably a little heaver TE down which will be balanced. I was pleasantly surprised that I could see some light from the other end of the TE while looking inside, which will be nice for moisture to exit, even with tank sealer on every set of stiffener ends.

FWIW, and cheers.

Brad

Last edited:
Sealant date...

I recently purchased some Flamemaster tank sealant from Van's. I specifically asked about the date on the container. This is what I was told:

"Yes, there is a 'use' date on the Tank Sealant products. The manufacturer advises us that it can be used beyond this date, and the date is a 'Mil-Spec' requirement only. As long as the product is stored properly you should be able to use it... "

So, interpret that as you wish...

Back