What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tank sealant/Proseal

sstellarv10

Well Known Member
I wonder if anyone can tell me the difference between the tank sealant Vans sells and Proseal that Aircraft spruce sells. There is a $100 dollar difference between the two for the same amount. Is one better than the other?:confused:

Steve Stella
#40654 Wings
N521RV reserved

I wonder if anyone can tell me the difference between the tank sealant Vans sells and Proseal that Aircraft spruce sells. There is a $100 dollar difference between the two for the same amount. Is one better than the other?:confused:

Steve Stella
#40654 Wings
N521RV reserved

The main differences between proseal offerings of different aviation sources is who made it and who packaged it, and whether it is the common B-2 or some of the other variations like A-2 or non-hardening access panel variety.

Pro seal Brand sealant usually is the most expensive. Usually one of the cheaper options is Flamemaster brand by Chem Seal, CS3204 is the equivalent of the ProSeal for normal fillets in tanks in the B-2 formulation.
The other varieties like B 1/2 or B4 are also available if your temps are colder or hotter than the room temp B-2 is intended for.
Spruce sells both brands, and the price difference is whopping. You probably do better with Vans for the 1oz and quart quantities. Spruce is more competitive with the 3.5 oz cartridges.

I wonder if anyone can tell me the difference between the tank sealant Vans sells and Proseal that Aircraft spruce sells. There is a $100 dollar difference between the two for the same amount. Is one better than the other?

http://www.flamemaster.com/TechnicalsPDF/cs3204.pdf

http://buyat.ppg.com/REP_aerospace_files/Sealants/fuel_tank_proven_standards/pr_1440_class_b.pdf

This is a class of sealants meeting a specific specification, Mil-S-8802. Both manufacturers are required to recertify to the spec at required intervals. The PR-1440 data sheet will give you a pretty good idea of the required certification tests.

Is one better than the other? Very difficult to determine in quantitative terms. Only a few people really know. They work for the manufacturers, or they work at the aerospace big gun companies who do their own tests in house.

FYI, note the universal dash information carefully before you order. You want "-B-2". The "B" means it is a thixotropic paste. The "2" means two hour application time. You must apply the sealant and close the assembly within the specified application time. Unless you go "beep-beep" when you run, you don't want an application time less than two hours for RV tanks.

While you're ordering things, buy a gram scale.

Back