What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tank Mount Platenuts ???

rapid_ascent

Well Known Member
The wings are here. Yeah.:)

So I started working on the main spar platenuts. I found two bags with k1100-8 CS platenuts. One 1922-1 is labelled Tank Attach Hardware so I'm assuming that is the correct bag. The problem I have is that they don't look like countersunk platenuts. The other bag's (1992-2) platenutes definitely look like countersink parts. Could Van's have sent the wrong parts? I need a little help here since I'm stuck and I don't want to start riveting them on and then find out i've installed the wrong parts.

the t712's the tank attach z angles get the k1000-3 platenuts (non-countersunk)

the spars get k1100-8 (countersunk)

the leading edge skin / splice gets K1100-8 (countersunk)

Just pull the correct platenut for the spot you're working on and you'll be fine. If you run out of k-1100's from one bag, find another bag with those plates. Eventually all you'll have is empty bags.

If only Van's would send one bag with one type of hardware. Only one type per bag, I think we'd have many fewer bags and much less searching.

Last edited:
So I'm working on the spars now. But I guess my problem is I'm not sure I can tell which ones are the countersunk platenutes. The ones in the bag marked Tank Attach Hardware have a description that says countersunk but they don't look like the other bag that says countersunk.

Bill,

Sorry I can't post pictures right now.

I'm pretty sure the one set of platenuts are not countersink type. They have a flat mounting surface. The other ones definitely have a countersunk surface. So I think that only leaves two options.

1. The countersink platenuts are no longer used and the instructions weren't updated.

2. They shipped the wrong parts.

I'm pretty sure I have the right bag of hardware since it's the only one with enough parts.

Bill,

Sorry I can't post pictures right now.

Instead taking own picture, the Google can help you find something similar faster. Does these look familiar and could you use these as reference?

Wng002.JPG

20110723-010-large.jpg

Back