What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tank Leaks

whd721

Well Known Member
I have removed and replaced the tank attach brackets and blind rivets on both tanks. Opened one tank and resealed the BNC connector. Now the right tank is leak free. However, the left tank is leaking about one inch of water column per 3-4 minutes.

I have used several bottles of soapy water so far and cannot find any leak. But the water keeps dropping.

Any hints or tips?

That sounds like a good size leak, I'd suggest duct taping over the fuel cap and sump drain.

That sounds like a good size leak, I'd suggest duct taping over the fuel cap and sump drain.
Certainly, as part of a reliable pressure test, a good seal over the fuel caps is vital and not to be underestimated. That, we can all agree upon I'm sure. As part of that process, I used clear packing tape to seal the fuel caps. That tape seals very well and right or wrong, I felt that because it is clear, makes it that much easier to discern any possible leak path through it. Of course, duct tape works well too, but you can't see through it.

What Rick said

Clear tape over the fuel caps proved a faulty seal there during my tank build. Took the fuel cap apart, inspected and lubed all parts, fuel lube on the ring and all was well.

Tiny bubbles...

I assume you ARE checking the fuel caps, and no sign of bubbles, even with water level leaks.

Try flipping the tank around and checking again. We finally found our leak (in the float cover) after re-positioning the tanks and began the search over again.

In your case, the grief is not know whether you have a leak (you do) it is finding the location of the leak.

Move the tank around and start again. Look for VERY FINE bubbles, almost like foam. Have kids or neighbor kids? Give them a squirt bottle and tell them you will give them a buck for each leak they find.

Remember, accourding to Murphy: The leak will appear, be clearly visible and and be located in the worst possible place, 5 minutes after you get in the air.

Dkb

I have removed and replaced the tank attach brackets and blind rivets on both tanks. Opened one tank and resealed the BNC connector. Now the right tank is leak free. However, the left tank is leaking about one inch of water column per 3-4 minutes.

I have used several bottles of soapy water so far and cannot find any leak. But the water keeps dropping.

Any hints or tips?

Back