What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tank Leak test

yankee-flyer

Well Known Member
Got my tank back from Chuck Olmstead and it was a super build job-- well worth the money (I know, I'm a wimp but a 69-year old one!). Put just enough air into it to blow up the balloon to about 12" length (9" diameter). When I left the hangar this evening the balloon was down to about 2/3 its original size after about 5 hours or so. Leak test just says to inflate the balloon and use soapy water to check for leaks-- anyone have a feel for how long the balloon should stay inflated?

Thanks!

Wayne 120241

Mix a solution of dish soap and water and check all of the connections. The air inlet or where you have the balloon attached may be leaking. Look for the leak with the soapy solution. The balloon should stay the same size unless the temp or baro pressure have changed a lot. A change to 2/3's after 5 hours is NOT acceptable.

Keep in mind that changes in barometric pressure can affect the "balloon" leak test. Keep it on for a couple of days it may re-inflate.

Also be aware that all balloons are not "leak proof". If you have another balloon from the same package, blow it up to the same size. Both balloons should go down equally. If the "tank balloon" deflates much more than the "stand alone" balloon, you probably have a leak.

Or you might try one of those fancy "pharmacy" balloons I've seen. They seem to a little more dependable.

Hydrometer Test

Do a hydrometer test, it works great! Just make sure that you don't have a leak where you attach the plastic tube (I chased an imaginary leak for a week to find it was leaking around the threads that I attached the tube to).
Also as others have said barometric pressure affects the test, as well as temperature ;)
KC

The primary purpose of the balloon is to act as a pressure gauge (how many people have a tool that would allow them to accurately measure 2 PSI).

The soapy water is used to look for leaks. For a demonstration on how unreliable just the balloon is for leak check, fill the tank with air in a warm (70 deg F.) shop. Now take the tank outside in the cold or spay it down on the outside with cold water. The balloon will deflate within a very short time.

Balloons do leak! Just look at all the balloons on the floor the next day after a kids birthday party. The balloon is only there to provide an even and constant pressure for soapy warter testing. And please, do not blow up the balloon through the tank. Blow up the balloon big and pinch it off, then with the tank all capped off except the fuel line fitting blow up the tank with your mouth until it just starts to expand,no more! Cap it off with your tounge, Now all at once slip the balloon over the fuel line fitting. Now spray with soapy water.

Back