What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

tank install

dick seiders

Well Known Member
Have the 12 painted and am into final details. Am going to install my (infamous) fuel tank tomorrow and velcro a light wt. carpet to it to hide the appearance. (not willing to paint it just yet). The rear baggage bulkhead cover as well as the center rearmost floor pan must be installed before tank in order to install the fasteners. Then of course the tank and fill pipe in that order. I know I am jumping the gun here, as I know nobody is there yet but the prototypes, but it looks like the fill pipe, tank, and the aforementioned bulkheads will have to be removed at the annual condition inspection in order to check the hidden components. eeeech! Am I overlooking something here? I mean if we proseal the fill pipe as plans suggest won't that be fun getting off next year? I know there likely is an obvious answer, but if anyone out there knows help me out here please.
Thanks
Dick Seiders

"fill pipe"

Dick, you are supposed to put a 'release agent' on the inside of the skin where the fill pipe contacts it. You should be able to get it off again fairly easily if you put on enough release agent.

John Bender

Release agent

I used a grease pencil and rubbed enough of it on so that the aluminum does not show through it. I also applied it to areas of the fill tube where I did not want the proseal to stick. The grease pencil worked well, much better than car wax that I had tried previously.
Joe

Yeah, I know I was asleep when I read the plans so forgot the release agent. Thanks for the reminder. It is still a slight disappointment that the tank will need to be pulled every condition inspection. Oh well, as long as it doesn't leak.
Dick Seiders

Back