What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tall Pilot Ask - Any RV-10s in Metro Detroit for a fit test?

edwinspalmer

I'm New Here
Hello Vans community! I'm a tall pilot trying to see if the RV-10 airframe will fit me. I know they're all slightly different so it's not a perfect analogue but trying to see if it'll fit me at all. I'm based out of the city of Detroit, fly out of KONZ, and can easily travel around to anywhere in the region to "try one on"! Happy to compensate with a coffee, beer, burger, or whatever else is available on the field for your troubles.

Thanks all, and I'm thrilled to have joined to RV community!

Hello Vans community! I'm a tall pilot trying to see if the RV-10 airframe will fit me. I know they're all slightly different so it's not a perfect analogue but trying to see if it'll fit me at all. I'm based out of the city of Detroit, fly out of KONZ, and can easily travel around to anywhere in the region to "try one on"! Happy to compensate with a coffee, beer, burger, or whatever else is available on the field for your troubles.

Thanks all, and I'm thrilled to have joined to RV community!
Apologies for not including the obvious - I'm 6'7", equally long legs and torso. I'm 225lbs when I'm in shape, even if it's been a few years since I've been there!

If you find someone be sure to ask if his rudder pedals are mounted in the forward position (max leg room) or aft position. Most are forward but mine are aft (I’m 5’6”). Easy to change, about a 30 minute job.
The stock seats work similar to a PA28 - as you move the seat aft it also goes lower. You can also recline the seat back.

Apologies for not including the obvious - I'm 6'7", equally long legs and torso. I'm 225lbs when I'm in shape, even if it's been a few years since I've been there!
Hello Edwin. Welcome to VAF.
I am 6'-7.5" and 220 lbs, and I fit just fine in my RV-10. I didn't do anything special during the build to make it fit. I even added the Aerosport carbon fiber overhead console and still fit without bumping my head when wearing my Lightspeed Zulu headset.

I'd be happy to take you for a demo ride, but I live in the San Francisco East Bay area, so unless you find yourself on the West Coast, that won't be possible.

Regards,

I’m 6 04 at 225 and my son is 6 05 at 230. We both sit up front very comfortably. For the taller people I would recommend not installing the overhead and center console. You would still fit but limits room for head and legs.

I had only flown 172s. 6'6", 260#. I went for a test sitting in VA, was not aware that the seats move, found things a tight fit. Owner was maybe 5'8". I wrote off the whole RV10 until a factory tour where I got to sit in a 14. That led to a real demo flight in a 10. Sold my 172, now own a 10.

This 10 has more elbow room. Requires nimble folding to enter and exit., not bad, could be an issue as I age. Seats also recline (AND THEY DO MOVE), I do not need to. Bose headset. I have not bumped in flight yet.

I predict a good fit for you.

We have an airbnb on the east coast if you want to go flying.

Back