What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Taking the RV-12 for a demo flight tomorrow...

The paint around the fuel cap ;) Was this happening because of the type of paint?

laura%20oshkosh%2008%20013.JPG

A lot of people are working on the canopy. Any pictures you can take of the fit and finish of the canopy would be a big help.

Hey Bill

I think a complete write-up of your overall impressions would be great. Anything you see, write it up, no matter how small it may seem. Noise levels, visibility, getting in or out, comparisons to other type planes you have flown are examples. I'm sure they will not share kit release information, so get what you can of everything else.

Thanks,

John Bender

The paint around the fuel cap ;) Was this happening because of the type of paint?

laura%20oshkosh%2008%20013.JPG

It's what happens when someone totally tops off the tank (and filler tube) on a cold winter day. Then pulls the airplane into a warm shop where it sits unattended for a long holiday weekend. Cold auto fuel (with ethanol) expands in warmth of shop and dribbles out cap vent keeping the paint wetted non stop for three days.

A very difficult test for any paint...It has since been repaired and has not reoccured.

Scott

It's what happens when someone totally tops off the tank (and filler tube) on a cold winter day. Then pulls the airplane into a warm shop where it sits unattended for a long holiday weekend. Cold auto fuel (with ethanol) expands in warmth of shop and dribbles out cap vent keeping the paint wetted non stop for three days.

A very difficult test for any paint...It has since been repaired and has not reoccured.

Scott,

Have they been regularly using ethanol-laced autogas in the red plane or a combo with 100LL? Any noticeable effect on the Rotax?

I'm heading to Van's on Monday, the first scheduled stop on my vacation. Hopefully, I'll get there in time to take the tour and get a possible flight in with the -12.

It'll be nice to see the finished product. While I can visualize pretty well, the wife will certainly be impressed with the flying version (as opposed to my dream version).

I can't wait!

ps...the 2nd stop on vacation is McMinnville...home of the Spruce Goose...Howard Hughs' ultimate homebuilt!
http://www.sprucegoose.org/

Scott,

Have they been regularly using ethanol-laced autogas in the red plane or a combo with 100LL? Any noticeable effect on the Rotax?

Just got back from the flight (loved it and will post a report in a seperate thread tonight with pictures and such). They are just using multiple 5-gallon gas cans to keep the -12 full of Mogas. All of Oregon gas is mandated to be E10, so I'm sure it has been running it. Rotax has approved the 912 for E10, so it should be alright...

--Bill

Rotax has approved the 912 for E10, so it should be alright...
A word of caution: If you use fuel filter elements with plastic housings, (common with the 912 series), swap them out for metal housings. We have seen several CTs with plastic bodied fuel filters that have either been deformed or failed when using E10 gasoline.

EDIT: Here's one of the filters.

filter_198.jpg

TODR

Last edited:
Back