What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Taking the Plunge - Empennage Kit Ordered

I thought it was time to post my first message now that my empennage kit and tools are on their way. I have been following the forums for a while now whilst researching and deciding to take the plunge.

What is one thing that all of you experienced builders whished you had known or someone had told you before you picked up your first tool?

I am sure I will be asking many more questions along the way and with a few hundred hours under my belt will hopefully be able to spread some wisdome myself.

WOO HOO!!!

Congrats!!!

I don't really have anything that I wish someone would have told me but... The best advice I can think of is don't concern yourself with how much time it takes you to complete a task just keep workin at it. (No one cares if you built your pile of doo doo in 6 months) Do your homework, ask questions, don't be afraid, thousands before you have done it and most important have fun!!!

I'm sure your aware this web site is a good resource for everything rv. We disagree on this and that, but thats the beauty of it!

suggestions

I find two things very useful. Lining up the next job on the work table at the end of the day and just seeing what goes together next. Then when i have time i go to a few builders web sites and see how they did it so i can see the pics and also see any notes or problems they had and detailed. At first the stuff is pretty straight forward, but lots of little things come along and if you make it practice to just look ahead a little, many common mistakes can be avoided. Further, dont hesitate to ask builders through their web sites or here. There are a ton of great folks that even if your question borders on really dumb...fast and great answers are to you in often minutes. We have all asked and done dumb things... its the one that finishes the plane well and in a reasonable time frame that truly accomplishes the mission. Get er going, and when you slow down, or get frustrated.....get someone to take you for a spin in an rv. A little upside down time really helps.

Congrats, and Welcome! I just finished my empennage last night for my 9A, 2 calendar months and 135 hours of work, wings are ordered with expected delivery end of May.

You'll find that early on in the tailkit, the directions are very precise and explicit, and as you go further into it they become much shorter and more vague. You will be expected to learn from the first explanation and remember it for later applications, and you'll probably find yourself referring back to earlier explanations occasionally. When I first started on the HS the instructions were so good I was able to go through a half page of the builders manual in an easy afternoon - and then later on into the elevators there are places where a single sentence costs you 5 hours of build time. Just roll with it, and keep on keepin' on.

Take LOTS of pictures! Not only for your builders log but for your own sanity as well. There have already been dozens of times I've been glad I shot many pics as I was building, when somebody asked about how to do this, or how to handle that. Your memory may falter about your steps and how you did it (and you'll start to doubt yourself about whether or not you did it the "correct" way) but the pictures will always be there. I'm guessing they'll also come in real handy during annuals and inspections, or for any future repairs or modifications, as a reminder of exactly what metal is where and which parts may need more TLC than others.

Looking back on the way I built up my tool stock, the only advise I can give is to consider tool budgets like a Skunk Works project budget - don't question it, just write the checks. There is nothing like having the right tool for the job. It's almost certainly going to be more than you expected, and it's so, so worth it in time and aggravation fighting with improper tools.

Make good friends with your neighbors! :D

Last edited:
take your time

While we're all super fired up about "building a plane", remember that it's a learning process. The more you are familiar with the plans and the parts you have to work with, the more you'll end up knowing about your plane and the better the finished product will be. Personally, I advocate getting the plans out and identifying every part in each subkit...and where applicable, edge prepping those parts where you don't have to make additional cuts or mods. That serves two purposes. One, you'll know what every part laying around is FOR (and have a better understanding of how to install it) and, all your parts will be ready to go when you pick em up. Enjoy the experience. I'll look you up when I'm in Perth in the next couple of months. I get down there once every few months, may be able to bring stuff if/when you need it.

My vote for best advice: Work on your project every day.

Of course that's not practical in the most literal sense, but the point is that you must visit your frankenstein, not only to get work done, but more importantly to keep your head in the game. In fact, I think the only critical skill a builder must possess is dogged determination and dedication.

Other advice: Buy stock in fedex and ups.

Back