What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Takeoff too short

yankee-flyer

Well Known Member
Finally got back to doing some of the flight test cards and my takeoff distance is substantially less than the POH and the rate of climb is substantially greater at the same GW (1050). I assume this means that I should INCREASE the prop pitch-- (take a bigger bite)? I'm seeing 5060-5100 RPM during full-throttle ckimb at 75 kts, but not much over 5500RPM at 7500 feet.

4-way box still shows Dynon speeds about 4 knots too low, which conn forms with low indicated stall speeds.

Wayne 120241/143WM

Umm

I think if your running a Lycoming you should do a top end overhaul immediately..:)

Finally got back to doing some of the flight test cards and my takeoff distance is substantially less than the POH and the rate of climb is substantially greater at the same GW (1050). I assume this means that I should INCREASE the prop pitch-- (take a bigger bite)? I'm seeing 5060-5100 RPM during full-throttle ckimb at 75 kts, but not much over 5500RPM at 7500 feet.

4-way box still shows Dynon speeds about 4 knots too low, which conn forms with low indicated stall speeds.

Wayne 120241/143WM

In my opinion, your pitch is set nearly perfect, based on what RPM you are seeing while climbing at Vy.
I would expect to see a need for some RPM reduction at 7500 feet to stay within the 5500 limit though. Was the air smooth at that altitude? Turbulence can have a noticeable effect on not being able to ever reach full max. speed at a given power setting.

Back