What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Take right seat out for golf clubs?

First off, I know next to nothing about how the seats are installed. Just asking the question for informational purposes. I lean towards the -8, but The Boss (not Bruce) is leaning towards the -7 (imagine that).

I've seen some of the baggage mods for the -8 that would allow golf clubs in the back of the -8. As I see it, there aren't any issues with the mods on the -8 as long as you take CG into account and routing of the elevator cables etc...

Been reading about the -7 mods and I guess there is an issues raised by Van's of the rear baggage bulkhead being structural and they recommend not modifying it. So, I'm curious how easy it would be to take out the right seat when flying solo and placing the clubs there extending into the baggage compartment? From pictures, it is hard for me to see how the back of the seats are attached. Could the aluminum be removed easily or could you cut a door of sorts in the backing of the seat (aluminum part) and have the cloth part of the seat attached with velcro so that it is easy to remove? Just looking for options other than having golf clubs in the wings or go with an unrecommended mod. Or, maybe you can even lay them over the seatback and secure them somehow?

Thanks.

seat back removal

The seat back is hinged at the bottom. The hinge is riveted to the floor pans and the other side of the hing riveted to the bottom of the seat back. If you cut the hing pin in half you will be able to slide one side out at a time without removing any other panels in the cockpit. If you do not do this, the only way to slide the pin out would be to remove the flap actuator side panel.

The back can be easily removed by sliding the hing pin out of the hing if you have the pin in two halves. Once the pin is removed, simply lift the back out of the cockpit.

I think the -7 is the same size(or maybe slightly larger) than the -6. I found that I could take the golf clubs out of the bag and lay them on the floor of the baggage area with the heads tucked up in the forward corners right behind the seat back. Then the bag would fit in the baggage area by itself.

The seat backs come out by removing the hinge at the bottom of the back and then you can lay it flat if need be. My son and I went golfing in the -6 and I got two sets of clubs, bags, and clothing for a long weekend all in the baggage are without any special mods.

Golf

I fly with 2 bags in a 6 all the time. A little angle on the bags and pull the drivers out and angle them up or between the seats. Folks are shocked when two golf bags and a couple duffles pop out of that little plane.

I fly my 6A all the time with my golf clubs. I have a Ping lightweight carry bag that fits in the baggage area laying flat. The woods I take out of the bag and angle them between the seats towards the passenger side. if you have someone in the passenger seat then the woods will lay back to front between the seats. No interference with the controls at all.

John Morgan

Nice to know! At RV speeds I could fly to Myrtle Beach, tear up one of the amazing courses down there, and make it back in one day!

Now if only I still didn't have a thousand more hours of building to do.... just one more piece of motivation I guess!

I use two hinge pins to hold my pax seat back. I remove it frequently when transporting dogs or hauling cargo (i.e. parts for my Hatz biplane project). The pax control stick is also easily removed.

Back