What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Take off....do you get your tail up?

Steve Sampson

Well Known Member
Coming to the -4 from a Supercub and Pawnees I am preconditioned to push the stick forward to lift the tail once it will fly, and then pull it back to leave the ground. The -4 appears to prefer to fly off the ground in its 3 point attitude with a neutral stick. Is this a common view from the -4 community?

P.S. IKON has returned to my strip now and is making easy landings into 1020'.

I was taught that getting the tail up early was an imperative to avoid aerodynamically induced bouncing caused by the wing being at a large angle of attack and therefore quite effective, even at the low speeds of the take-off roll. Mind you, I've not flown an RV yet...

I suppose it's more a requirement if you're operating from grass and perhaps the RV's don't sit fully stalled, so the wing is less effective.

Just my theoretical 2p.

A

Typically I always get the tail at least off the ground. You can still maintain a positive angle of attack but you will have better rudder authority with the tailwheel off the ground.
You also will be putting less wear on the tailwheel itself.

When I got my RV6 transition training from Mike Seager the process was a little forward pressure on the the stick until the tail lifts and then a little back pressure until liftoff. I've used this on my airplane and it seems to work pretty well.

Doug
RV6
240 hours

Steve,
My preference is to leave the tail down for a 3-count when taking off from hard surfaced runways, I find directional control is easier at the start by leaving the tailwheel down....if on grass I raise the tail immediately to reduce drag from the tailwheel, put the plane in a more aerodynamic position to hopefully accelerate as fast as possible and airborne which requires more rudder work.

Different strokes for different folks...

Glenn Wilkinson

Steve,
My preference is to leave the tail down for a 3-count when taking off from hard surfaced runways, I find directional control is easier at the start by leaving the tailwheel down....if on grass I raise the tail immediately to reduce drag from the tailwheel, put the plane in a more aerodynamic position to hopefully accelerate as fast as possible and airborne which requires more rudder work.

Different strokes for different folks...

Glenn Wilkinson

Same procedure I use.

Back