What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tailwheel spring clip failure

BruceMe

Well Known Member
I tore down my RV-4 for annual Sunday after flying with buddies on a strong x-wind day (direct 90 15-20kts). I noticed something odd on the rear tailwheel spring retaining clips; the one's connecting the stearing arms. On one side they had pulled open slightly (odd)... On the other, it was wide open. I lightly tapped it and it fell off :eek: ! ! ! Ehhh. I have a picture that I coincidentally took just a couple days before of the tailwheel and they where both secure and overlapping.

Just wanted to let you all know... I probably did it taxing or landing, but that's something that I realy don't want failing in a x-wind.

-Bruce

I tore down my RV-4 for annual Sunday after flying with buddies on a strong x-wind day (direct 90 15-20kts). I noticed something odd on the rear tailwheel spring retaining clips; the one's connecting the stearing arms. On one side they had pulled open slightly (odd)... On the other, it was wide open. I lightly tapped it and it fell off :eek: ! ! ! Ehhh. I have a picture that I coincidentally took just a couple days before of the tailwheel and they where both secure and overlapping.

Just wanted to let you all know... I probably did it taxing or landing, but that's something that I realy don't want failing in a x-wind.

-Bruce

Good catch, Bruce.

However, you might be interested to know the RV taildraggers are quite well behaved even with the tailwheel disconnected from the rudder. I know of two occasions (I was one of them) where a RV-4 and a RV-6 were flown home after the tailwheel link failed at flyins. In my case, the only difference I could tell was a little "sluggishness" during slow speed taxi. Once the plane is rolling at a moderate speed, the rudder is effective enough to control the plane. At low speeds a blast of propwash will turn the plane nicely. The rudder is the primary control for crosswind landings (I usually wheel land in crosswinds).

I agree with Sam - I had one of those clips fail on me early in my days of flying my -8, and didn't know it until I got back to the hangar (having made half a dozen turns to get there). I replaced the clips with sailboat shackles, and then eventually went with a single-side tailwheel link.

Paul

I agree with Sam - I had one of those clips fail on me early in my days of flying my -8, and didn't know it until I got back to the hangar (having made half a dozen turns to get there). I replaced the clips with sailboat shackles, and then eventually went with a single-side tailwheel link.

Paul

Of course... but in a x-wind, it could really cause a bad day

That's why I personally went with the sailboat shackles in place of the whimpy clips - I didnt want to have them fail at a bad time! then I gave up on the screen-door chains altogether....

Safety Wire Those Links

If you do use the stock clip links, safety wire them so they can't open up.

You still have the rudder and brakes. I'm not saying landing with no tailwheel control is the desired situation but unless we are talking about a crosswind that exceeds the control authority of the rudder good technique should allow the landing to be uneventful. A wheel landing in about any amount of wind allows the tailwheel to stay in the air until the plane has slowed to a low enough speed that adequate directional control is available via rudder and brakes.

Last edited:
thats really odd

-Bruce

I had my -4 at Courtland for the air race and I let my cousin fly it in the cross country race. Beeing too busy I didn't go out to tie the airplane down until later and upon going to the tail I found the upper half of the spring and chain hanging loose and the bottom half missing. ( both clips gone) I thougt maybe someone "borrowed them" not believing both would fail. I guess the upper failed and the tailwheel ran over the chain and broke the upper.

ANYWAY I fly quiet often (every race) without the tailwheel connected to the rudder horn. Turn the steering arm streamlined and taped. If you cant handle this plane with out the springs on your skills might be weak.

Where can one get some new clip?
CM race34

Agree with above - if you are relying on the tailwheel steering to keep straight, you are living dangerously ;)

At worst, the steering chains failing should be a minor irritant... IMHO

Andy

Yeah, those tear drop shaped clips WILL FAIL. Don't ask me how, but they WILL FAIL. Seen it too many times for it to be random chance.

You can safety wire them near the pointy end to stay closed, but that looks like ****. The poster who suggested switching to shackles was right on.

Tailwheel problems? Call me.

I had one of those clips fail on me early in my days of flying my -8, and didn't know it until I got back to the hangar (having made half a dozen turns to get there). I replaced the clips with sailboat shackles, and then eventually went with a single-side tailwheel link.

I joined this club today. Landed with a gusting crosswind and thought it odd that the wind seemed to overpower my taxiing. I made all the turns to the hangar and discovered one tail wheel chain dragging. The clip was gone.

Paul - thanks for the write up and photos in the other thread ...

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showpost.php?p=125389&postcount=1

Last edited:
Back