What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tailwheel chains/springs

G

Geoff

I've recently installed the stock Vans tailwheel chains/springs, with about a half inch of slop per the plans.

The problem is that with full rudder travel, the chain rubs on the fiberglass rudder bottom.

Has anyone else experienced this? What am I missing?

-Geoff
RV-8

Geoff

Most guys use "eye" bolts in the rudder horn to lower the chain a bit.

I also covered the chain with clear poly tubing.

Bryan Carr

I also like mine very tight - I compress the springs with safety wire when I hook the chains up, then cut the safety wire and the springs are pre-tensioned. I just like the feel of the steering better this way.

But that reminds me that I have to order some eye bolts - Jay Pratt pointed out that I have some wear in the holes the chains fasten to, and it is going to mess up the rudder horn if I don't fix it....

Paul

No chains

I had chains initially and built with the .5" sag as recommended. I found the ground control wasn't that good.

When I flew my 7 I only had about 25 hours of TW time. After about 10 hours I switched the chains for the Silver Bullet tail wheel link. This was well worth the money. Ground control is very positive and increased my comfort level with the TW plane.

Back