What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tailwheel chain link fix

AeroelasticPiper

I'm New Here
The chain link clip on my RV6 bent as shown in the picture, likely taxing over grooves or recesses on the pavement. What fix would you recommend (I'm not the builder so any suggestion is welcome)? Is there somethin sturdier than these clips?

Thanks

Attachments

• 20230630_130409.jpg
    20230630_130409.jpg
    697.5 KB · Views: 210
WOW, you must have felt that jolt in one rudder when that happened. Imagine if you had anything stronger there. I changed mine from the first picture to the second and it also improved the taxiing. It's called a "RV Rocket Steering Link Single Sided - Tie Down" and sold by FLYBOY ACCESSORIES www.flyboyaccessories.com

Attachments

• 2 copy.png
    2 copy.png
    578.9 KB · Views: 142
  • 3 copy.png
    3 copy.png
    611.3 KB · Views: 146
Lookie here

The drilled hole is for a cotter pin to keep the barrel nut from backing off.

Quick_Links_with_Text.jpg

Jim, this is interesting because the manufacturer's drawings for the MRNZ03.0 link don't show a cotter pin hole. Maybe these are being modified by the suppliers? They're cheap enough I might pick up a couple to compare to the ones I've got.

Jim, this is interesting because the manufacturer's drawings for the MRNZ03.0 link don't show a cotter pin hole. Maybe these are being modified by the suppliers? They're cheap enough I might pick up a couple to compare to the ones I've got.

I have bought these from the local home improvement warehouse and drilled my own holes. Smaller sizes of these links are needed to fit the steering horn holes. Might have to ream a bit. The load ratings of these links are usually listed on the label or package. I steer away from stainless as they aren't as strong, harder to drill and stainless threads have a propensity to gall when tightened, which can be mitigated to a certain extent by using Boelube or parrafin wax. Just like control cables I would use stainless if on a float plane or coastal location, but otherwise would go with zinc plated steel.

I wouldn't worry about a cotter pin hole. A drop of Loctite and little dirt gets it done.

Back