What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tailwheel Caster dilemma, how to solve

Larry DeCamp

Well Known Member
Friend
Finishing my RV4 with Flyboy pneumatic tire, fork etc. The pivot post weldment on the stinger is a 1999 vintage kit With grease zerk.
The tail wheel pivot has negative caster and the pivot is not vertical In the camber plain. I flew my RV3 with negative caster so I assume this is not a show stopper.
The bolt holes in the stinger are horizontal, so I propose the problems are in the pivot post weldment.
I can build a new weldment to correct both issues, but is there another solution ??

I know of 2 other 4's where the TW's were slightly off vertical. The only issue was uneven tire wear. Didn't affect the ground handling. As for the caster, I think you want a little negative caster to reduce the potential for TW shimmy. If it is too much you could remove the stinger and put it in a press to put a little opposite bend in it. Had to do that to straighten mine when I got it because the stinger had a little upward bend. I would just fly it and see if there are any issues before doing anything. As for the vertical (camber) alignment there may be enough space in the pivot to drill new vertical holes offset from the horizontal holes to get it vertical, if it is an issue. FWIW.

Back