What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tailspring/Weldament Questions

sprint27c

I can't find anywhere in any instructions on when to drill hole for the bolt that attaches the tailspring to the weldament. Now that I have the weldament bolted into the skeleton I think maybe I should have drilled the two in a drill press before installing it.

Is there a preferred time for this? Also does anyone have the correct reamer size for the preferred fit between the tailspring and weldament.

TIA,

shaun

To get the hole in there with any kind of craftsmanship (and therefore close fit) it preferably needs to be done before installation in the airframe.

It is possible to do after but getting the hole in with a close fit will be hard. It would best be done through a well placed 1/2" hole under the tail spring weldment, this hole through the thicker aluminum fusealage plate under the weldment. The hole can easily be covered latter or left open (nice drain).

There is much discussion on the forums regarding the reaming, bushing, and taper pinning of this hole. The "Search" function should find them for you.

Good luck and welcome and fly safe.

Last edited:
There is much discussion on the forums regarding the reaming, bushing, and taper pinning of this hole.

Yes I did see the post regarding using a taper pin here. Though others suggested the taper pin might only be necessary if the original installation becomes loose.

Thanks!

Back