What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tailpipe/exhaust to fuselage heat shielding

Freemasm

Well Known Member
I have an AWI 4-1 exhaust (I'll refrain from commenting for now). It will be pretty tight to the fuse. Picture is attached but a little tough to see because of reflections.

There's a plethora of scattered info regarding heat shielding the the affected area: stainless sheet, titanium sheet, fiberfrax layer, application method, interior/exterior, etc.

Can anyone share some pix/methodology/lessons learned here? Pix would help. RV4, 8, Rocket would be the closest matches but anything would be appreciated.

Much thx.

Attachments

• tailpipe to fuse clearance.jpg
    tailpipe to fuse clearance.jpg
    215.6 KB · Views: 136
Scott, the -8 is by far the easiest. Throw away the aluminum ramp panel. If not done already, carefully seal the seams in the belly recess. Install a one piece stainless ramp. Seal the perimeter carefully. SS pulled rivets are fine. Polish it if you like.

Should you install an insulator inside? Plain ceramic refractory fiber is inert. The only risk is corrosion potential if an electrolyte is introduced, which should be low probability with good sealing. Shoot the aluminum in the recess with a good epoxy primer. Adding a top coat would be even better.

Attachments

• Exhaust Ramp Finished.jpg
    Exhaust Ramp Finished.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 160
  • Stainless Exhaust Ramp1.jpg
    Stainless Exhaust Ramp1.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 156
FWIW, My previous RV-8 has the SkyDynamics 4-into-1 exhaust. Parallel valve IO-360. Nothing special was done for heat shielding between the exhaust and the fuselage. The airplane now has about 2350 hours on it with no heat distress evident, but the exhaust is not tight up against the fuselage. Some pics:

i-QjdQfPv-XL.jpg

i-NW4bz52-XL.jpg

Last edited:
Back