What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tailkit conversion 9A to 9

tjo

Well Known Member
Is it easy to convert a 9A tailkit to a 9? I have a line on a good 9A kit, but if I buy it, I will convert it.

Thanks,

Tim

9A to a 9

I did ,at about the quick build stage with the fuselage. Buy from Vans the conversion kit which has all the parts you need. ie tail wheel and etc. also remember the gear legs are longer on the 9. The engine mount will come with the finishing kit assuming the project you are buying has not already specified 9A in the finishing kit.

Is it easy to convert a 9A tailkit to a 9? I have a line on a good 9A kit, but if I buy it, I will convert it.

Thanks,

Tim

Not a problem. It will require a different engine mount, some tail beefing and a tail wheel and tail spring, different main gear legs and a modification of the lower cowl as the main component changes. Remember also that the low points in the fuel tanks will be different. Might make sense to put new fuel drains in at the rear side of the tanks when converting to the tail wheel configuration. there are avery few other changes that can be done easily. the cowl and prop spinner will mate just a bit further apart after the conversion, but no big deal.

Not a problem. It will require a different engine mount, some tail beefing and a tail wheel and tail spring, different main gear legs and a modification of the lower cowl as the main component changes. Remember also that the low points in the fuel tanks will be different. Might make sense to put new fuel drains in at the rear side of the tanks when converting to the tail wheel configuration. there are avery few other changes that can be done easily. the cowl and prop spinner will mate just a bit further apart after the conversion, but no big deal.

Ummm... He was only asking about the tail kit.

As for some of the comments regarding the low points in the fuel tanks, they are the same for both the -9 and the -9A. There is no need to change your fuel system or the location of the quick drains (they are already in "the rear side of the tanks") when doing a conversion of a flying aircraft.

I don't understand the comment with regard to the cowl. It will fit exactly the same as before a -9A to -9 conversion. However, you will have to fill in the slit where the nose gear went and cut holes in the lower outboard corners to make room for the gear legs.

Unless, the comment is in reference to the changed engine mount. In that case, it is possible that there may be a slight difference in the length of the engine mount, which may put the engine in a slightly different position.

Back