What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tailkit Completion Question

jwilbur

Well Known Member
I'm just about finished with my tailkit and am looking for some general advice. What I've got left to do is attach the aft top skin and bolt on several odds and ends like the battery assembly, bell-crank assembly and seat-belt anchors. I'm thinking that it might make sense to hold off on this stuff until much later to allow easier access for installing things like an ADAHRS unit and whatever else is going to go back there. Is this a good idea or am I over thinking it? (by the way, I'm also planning to delay attachment of the HS/VS, etc.)

All advice welcome,

Joe,
I went ahead and installed the bell-crank assembly and seat-belt anchors, but didn't permanetly install the HS/VS or trim servo/cables and won't until after I move to a hangar. I Still have lots to other things to install -- battery, ADHRS, ELT, pitch servo, static ports .....the list is almost endless it seems. I'll get a round to a lot of this prior to tailcone attach before access becomes a little more problematic. Bottom line is I think you've got a good plan -- most of the interior stuff can be put off until later.

The aft most skin, F1075, should not make a lot of difference. The F1074 is the one to leave off, not only for access to the items you mentioned, but for installing the fiberglass top.

Putting the aft skin on will strengthen the tail cone a lot, might be something to consider.

Joe,
+1 on what Mike said about the top skins. No compelling reason to hold off on the 1075 that I can see.

Thank you much

All righty then. Thank you very much. Another hour and I'll call the tailkit done! I'm expecting to order the wing kit this week.

Too bad the emp faring is now in the fuselage kit. You could have bolted on the stab and VS then fit the fairing before you burned out on fiberglass doing cabin top and doors.:p

Hi Joe

I'd strongly consider installing an APU receptacle in the belly, near the battery while access is easy. We did that on my last annual and though doable, cramped. An autopilot servo bracket should be installed too....it's only a matter of time before you'll add one, or the next owner will:)

Best,

I left the two top skins only clecoed because I wanted to keep access easy just in case I was missing anything but I don't know if it mattered much.:)

Joe,
I bought this power receptacle from Aircraft Spruce:

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/elpages/extpowerrect.php

Have not installed it yet, but it's on my endless to do list. There are also "Piper" versions. It's a little pricy but can handle any situation I can envision to include cranking my engine off external power if I ever needed to do so. If you do a search you'll see others have gone the 12v accessory receptacle route to provide a way to recharge a battery without removing it, but it's not a robust solution IMO. YMMV...

To jump on the battery bandwagon a bit, here is one for a bit further down the construction path.

I used the pigtail leads that came with my "battery Minder" to attach to each battery, and then ran them forward through the baggage bulkhead so I could keep the batteries up.

I drilled a 3/4" hole for each lead, used a rubber bushing I split with a knife, and a tab of velcro and made a label for the plug.

P4190048.jpg

Here it is with both lead locations showing, when I finished the fabrication.

P4190047.jpg

And finally as it goes into the plane.

P4190049.jpg

When it comes to working on the panel and lighting, it is nice to be able to top off the battery as you are working. I spent many hours programing the EFIS and the EIS. and just learning the systems, and I never had to worry about running the battery down.

Joe,
I bought this power receptacle from Aircraft Spruce:

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/elpages/extpowerrect.php

Have not installed it yet, but it's on my endless to do list. There are also "Piper" versions. It's a little pricy but can handle any situation I can envision to include cranking my engine off external power if I ever needed to do so. If you do a search you'll see others have gone the 12v accessory receptacle route to provide a way to recharge a battery without removing it, but it's not a robust solution IMO. YMMV...

I am going to use the same. I'll be installing mine in the next couple of weeks. It's bulky and more expensive than some of the other solutions, but I was more interested in ensuring that I could get a jump from a cart from just about any FBO.

aux power

+1 on the external plug. Got stuck once at Monument Valley at sunset with a dead battery in a different plane. Got a jump from a nice Navajo from his early 60's pickup truck. I went with the Piper plug using the Aerolectric design.
In my experience Piper plugs are much more likely to be found at smaller airports. I also have my own male pigtail made from jumper cables so any battery source will work. As long as you make and carry your own pigtail, it really doesn't matter which plug you use.
It has been very nice to power up the plane during wiring to test stuff. (excuse the fibreglass dust on the floor, I haven't final cleaned yet)

photo-23.jpg
photo-26.jpg

Last edited:
The flat 3 pronger is, by far, the most common on ramps around the country. Unfortunately the male plug is heavy, sometimes way heavy, and the cables are usually beefy/heavy too. So, if you install one make sure you brainscheme up a really solid mount inside so some ramprat doesn't oil can your skin.

Worth noting here that for charging the battery and for powering the panel on the ground, you can just use a DC power supply connected to an appropriately-rated cigarette lighter outlet. Really cheap and simple. Though of course you can't use it for starting.

-Rob

Last edited:
Baggage floor is neat, out of the weather, etc. Downside is a line guy will have to shut your bag door with engine running. An outside mount is a butt pain to do, but is mo' safe. Some cessnas with a firewall battery have the plug right at the cowl juncture. How safe is that? I always get the pucker when I have to be forward of the wing with an engine running.

Back